Ick help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bigbrother

Aquarium Advice Activist
This Mornin I found ick on my tomato clown an clown fish also my Fiji puffer is showing sings except my diomond goby wat can I do I can bear to loose this fish plz help

Bigbrother said:
This Mornin I found ick on my tomato clown an clown fish also my Fiji puffer is showing sings except my diomond goby wat can I do I can bear to loose this fish plz help

What u need to do is go hypo ammediatly

remove those fish to a qt tank right away. Get yourself some cupramine made by seachem which is a copper based medicine works great you'll need to get a copper test kit to insure a proper copper level, follow the directions on the bottle. Do not use in your dt or with the rock or inverts. Test kits that work are salifert or api,

I would advise against copper as it is Not a humane way to treat it trust me what u want to do is hypo salinity treatment I have performed it many times and have totally rid my tank of white spot...whites pot has a cycle life,without fish it will die off .what u need to do is get your fish in a quarantine with nothing but your fish no sand nothing just some plastic pipe work for fish to hide..lower your specific gravity to 1008 then over the course of 6-8 weeks gradually raise it back make sure they are all cured before they go back and this will ensure the parasite dies in the display tank...in future quarantine your fish when u buy them

Already put them in a qt tank this Mornin my clown died b4 I could get him out he was a Lil guy I'm lowered the salinity aswell from 22 to 19 I will lower it more tomorrow

by time you lower the salinity over a two to three day period as you should you could have been treating the ich already. Cupramine is not as toxic or irratating to fish as other coppers, used it on my flame for 3 weeks cleared it all up no problems also you will need a refractometer to gauge the salinity accurately if you do hypo

Yea il do it lower it over the term of 6 to eight weeks so I don't hurt the fish I have heard that hypo works also a fresh water dip work too but I don't really wana do that just yet

So ick will die if there's no fish in it? How long does it take & does it attach itself only to the fish or the whole tank?

Bigbrother said:
Yea il do it lower it over the term of 6 to eight weeks so I don't hurt the fish I have heard that hypo works also a fresh water dip work too but I don't really wana do that just yet

Mate hypo salinity actually calms the fish down 19 won't help u get it down to 08 within 36 hours and your fish will be fine ....

You don't lower the salinity over six weeks to do hypo. You can do it over a few hours . Then you leave the fish in hypo for 6-8 weeks then slowly raise it over a weeks time. Fish can go from normal salinity to hypo without issues . It's bringing it back up that you need to do it slowly.

do not attempt to lower the salinity in a few hours you need to do it over two to three days

You don't lower the salinity over six weeks to do hypo. You can do it over a few hours . Then you leave the fish in hypo for 6-8 weeks then slowly raise it over a weeks time. Fish can go from normal salinity to hypo without issues . It's bringing it back up that you need to do it slowly.
(y),,correct,,you can even put the fish into hypo immediately ..

Ok now I understand the hypo treatment I will lower it with in a couple hours like u guys say thanx for the help

Tonedogz ,yes ,,that is normal protocol for hypo..
It has been proven over and over that putting fish into hypo immediately is just fine..I have done it this way for years ,and thats after i do a FW dip..

There are a million and one articles about hypo out there ,,I actually never seen the one you linked ,but its fine too..
Heres a good one from the guys at WWM
hypoOSTtherapyart.htm
from the article "Kollman found the low salinity system reduced his previously high mortality rates and that his dealership was able to greatly reduce chemical treatments and subsequent overdoses (Kollman, 1998). He concluded that a salinity of 14 to 15 ppt (1.010-1.011 SG) was an effective treatment level to which fish can be immediately transferred with no special acclimation procedures (Kollman, 1998).

yes ft you can probable find a few but the majority would suggest a longer period. Just didn't want to see him make a mistake and kill off his fish cause he's not really sure how to proceed.I still like ya though

Back
Top Bottom