Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-12-2004, 05:00 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

ICK: How Do I Curing My Power Blue Tang

I got a power blue tang about 3 weeks ago and about 10 days ago I found ick on him. I have raised the temperature of the tank to 82 degrees and am soaking his food in garlic but I dont know if it is working. The white spots disappear and them sometimes they come back 10 times over. I bought quick cure for ick and the fish guy at the store told me to treat the tang in a seperate area in fresh water that has the same PH as the tank. To put the medicine in the separate bucket and put the tang in the medicated fresh water for 4 minutes, then rinse him and put him back in my tank. I dont know what to do. He doesnt seem to be getting much better. Am i doing something wrong or is it just going to take a while for him to get better.

Old 01-12-2004, 07:44 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
IMO the acutall process of taking the fish out and doing a FW dip could be as stressful as having ICH itself.

When the ich first appeared do you recall anything different about the tank? Instead of doing FW dips on the fish I would avocate setting up a qt tank and then dosing that tank and leaving the fish in that tank for a period of 1 month. Even after the ich is not evident on the fish the parasite is still around but its just in its non visable stage. Part of getting the fish healthy is a healthy diet as well as a healthy enviorment.

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2004, 09:25 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

Send a message via ICQ to r95rdstr Send a message via MSN to r95rdstr Send a message via Yahoo to r95rdstr
As fishfreek says, FW dips and repeatedly netting the fish is very stressful. Your main tank, as well as your QT, should have rocks stacked together to provide many hiding places.
Old 01-13-2004, 10:38 AM   #4

Re:

I have 65 pounds of live rock in my 55 gallon tank for him to hide. I am not going to be able to QT the tang though. Any other advice.
Old 01-13-2004, 02:03 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Your main tank, as well as your QT, should have rocks stacked together to provide many hiding places.
QT should always be barebottomed, rock and other substrate can and will absorb medications. Pieces of PVC pipe will provide the cover that I agree are necessary to help reduce further stress.

Quote:
I am not going to be able to QT the tang though.
Why not? You don't really have any other viable choices at this point. FW dips do not work very well on their own, as even if it kills all the parasites on the fish they will remain behind in the display tank. Nuking your main tank may make it inhabitable for livestock down the road (or currently depending on what you have in it). You can continue to try the garlic, but should understand that it may or may not work and the ich may progress to where you can't treat it in time.
HoopsGuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2004, 02:13 PM   #6
AA Team Emeritus

You can use a Rubbermaid tub as a QT. Just get a small heater and a small powerhead.
cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2004, 03:23 PM   #7

I am going to QT the tang I guess. Doesnt seem like their is any other choice. Hopefully he gets better. Thanks to everyone for the advice. As you can see I havnt been at this that long and I need a little help sometimes. Thanks

John
Old 01-13-2004, 04:04 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Regular

Send a message via ICQ to r95rdstr Send a message via MSN to r95rdstr Send a message via Yahoo to r95rdstr
Related question:

I just learned that a QT should be bare with only PVC or other inert material for habitat. My question is bilogical filtration, and how to maintain it?
Old 01-13-2004, 07:00 PM   #9
AA Team Emeritus

You can use a sponge filter whose media was in the main tank for a few days. Or use a new small sponge filter with constant small water changes (10% per day?) till the filter is established.
cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2004, 10:43 AM   #10
Sam
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via Yahoo to Sam
Remember the the Powder Blues are prone to marine Ich. I agree with the consensus here to QT the Blue until well. If this is the only fish you have in your display tank, I would leave in QT for at least 3 weeks so that any Ich spores in your main tank die off for lack of a host (their cycle is around two weeks and if they do not find a host, they die). HTH.

Me
Sam is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
blue tang, curing, ick, tan, tang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com