Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-19-2003, 12:03 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Activist

You can read a five part series of articles on ich at www.advancedaquarist.com. Part one is in the November issue.
Terry B

Old 11-19-2003, 12:06 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Freak

wow steve that was one heck of an article. i feel like imo in college again. it was definitely enlightening.
ive placed apx 400g of carbon in tank to try and remove the organi-cure.
i will set up tank tomorrow to work on hypo salinity. will keep posted. i hope i havent killed my shrimp the fish are not heavily infected. in fact you can hardly see the ick in normal light. but the actinic light seems to flores the ick?
hopefully they will survive while i get everything ready

Peppermint Shrimp:
Crush two tbs minced mint leaves (no stems) with the juice of two limes, two tbs of sugar and a shot of light rum. Marinade eight cleaned jumbo shrimp for two hours in fridge or overnight (overnight is best). Skewer and salt shrimp. Broil or grill over medium high heat until shrimp become opaque (apx. two and a half min per side). Serve with black beans cooked with garlic, green onions, bacon and topped with a slice of lime.
douggiestyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2003, 10:23 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Freak

all inverts seem fine. am going to run another 400g of carbon to be safe. have 40gal breeder set up for hyposalinity( check out bargains in a coulple days and find out what i payed for this tank as well as other stuff!!!!!) now i need to catch the little buggers and move them. will keep posted.

Peppermint Shrimp:
Crush two tbs minced mint leaves (no stems) with the juice of two limes, two tbs of sugar and a shot of light rum. Marinade eight cleaned jumbo shrimp for two hours in fridge or overnight (overnight is best). Skewer and salt shrimp. Broil or grill over medium high heat until shrimp become opaque (apx. two and a half min per side). Serve with black beans cooked with garlic, green onions, bacon and topped with a slice of lime.
Old 11-21-2003, 05:47 PM   #14
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
all inverts seem fine. am going to run another 400g of carbon to be safe.

Quote:
have 40gal breeder set up for hyposalinity
Excellent, and a great size for a qt/hospital tank!!

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2003, 11:34 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Freak

Hey, i have been watching fish whilst getting set up for hyposalinity and have noticed over the past few days that the spots on my tang have disappeared????
only a few and very small on my damsel?????
what do you think? go with hyposalinity anyways or hope that fish may build up immunity and ick cysts die???

im contemplating on just keeping an eye on things to see if there is any progression rather stress fish with move.

im all ears

PS. CHECK OUT MY BARGAIN

Peppermint Shrimp:
Old 11-23-2003, 02:41 AM   #16
steve-s

The disappearance of the trophont on the fish will unfortunately lead some to believe the fish is "getting past" the problem but unfortunately that is not the case. Once the parasite leaves the fish it forms the tomont cyst were it multiplies and then is released into the water column in much greater number. Up to several hundred theronts are released per cyst.

The stress of moving the fish is unfortunate but once the new theronts are released to find a new fish host, there will be much more than the few it had to start with...

Cheers
steve
Old 11-23-2003, 10:51 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Freak

cant catch fish!!!!!

will start new post in general

Peppermint Shrimp:
Old 12-09-2003, 05:40 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Freak

havent moved fish yet. in addition fish have shown no signs of white spots since last posting. i understand that the theronts are released after a 6-8 day period. here we are at almost three weeks and no recurrence.

could i have misdiagnosed??

Peppermint Shrimp:
Old 12-10-2003, 01:29 AM   #19
Aquarium Advice Activist

If you haven't seen any spots on the fish in three weeks and you didn't treat them then there are a couple of possibilities. Yes, you may have misdiagnosed the problem. However, you may have a correct diagnosis but the fish have developed some level of acquired immunity. Fish that have been exposed to ich and survive can develop some acquired immunity. This immunity is usually only partial and of a limited duration. With partial immunity the fish may not exhibit any obvious white spots when still having a light infection. If that is the case the disease can come back. If the fish do have a subclinical infection then stress can turn it into a full-blown infection. Introducing a new (naive) fish that does not share acquired immunity into such a tank can easily lead to an outbreak.
Terry B
Old 12-10-2003, 01:44 AM   #20
Aquarium Advice Freak

i will have to keep an i on them. also no new fish for a while

Peppermint Shrimp:

Tags
ick, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com