Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-14-2005, 04:37 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Ick in tank...

I just set up my tank and noticed some streaks on the glass that I didn't see before...I rinsed and wiped it out good I thought..should I be ok the tank had a freshwater oscar in it before that had ick and was treated with maracide but died anyways.. I know I'll be ok with the chemical..but what about the ick? I was confused with the waiting for the ick to cycle through..is it ok to go through a cycle in a tank that has had ick? I mean it will be a month before I put anything in it anyways, right?

Old 04-14-2005, 04:39 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

I mean I guess I can't really worry bout it now.. I'm already setup.. guess I'm just gettin the after setup jitters...lol

Old 04-14-2005, 10:21 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

I hope someone can chime in here, as I don't think it's a good idea to use a maracide treated tank (which contains malachite green) in a saltwater tank, unless you never ever plan to keep corals or other inverts.

I can't remember if malachite green is a copper based med. Can anyone remember?
Old 04-14-2005, 11:02 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

FW ich will not live in SW. not sure about the meds never used it...

TANK PICS http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=98202
seaham358 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2005, 12:25 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

I called a couple places in ATL. and they all tell me that it should be ok..since it's not copper based medicine.. he just said to wipe it out good with a paper towel and water and maybe a little chlorine.. and then rinse it good...
Old 04-14-2005, 12:25 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

FW ich and SW ich are caused by two completely different organisms.

To use the tank only may be ok, but you'll need to ditch anything that may contain traces of the medicine: rock, sand, decorations, etc.

Livestock I added:

1 skunk cleaner. 12 hermits: red, scarlet, blue. 15 or so assorted snails. Discosomas, Ricordia, Rhodactis mushroom corals, chaetomorpha (sump), 1 feather duster, Montipora digitata, Montipora capricornis, Montipora hispids. assorted zoos, Xenia, Kenya tree coral, green Sinularia, green star polyps, branching hammer coral, bubble coral, Devil's hand leather. Yellow chromis, purple firefish.

Hitchhikers: the usual suspects :crabs, bristles, urchin, mantis shrimp (now in exile in mantis tank)

List of possible/likely newcomers:

Feather duster. PJ cardinal, Bangghai cardinal, Firefish goby, Clownfish, Neon goby, Yellow watchman goby, Orchid dottyback. Various corals.
midiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2005, 12:26 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

did that.. just saw a few streaks on the side of the tank where I wiped..
Old 04-14-2005, 12:35 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Even if it is copper - does everyone just ASSUME that copper is a long-term contaminant, or has it been conclusively docmumented to have been adsorbed onto glass, silicone, or the thank bottom.

It just seems hard for me to believe that a tank can be rendered useless by the past use of copper, but I honestly don't know the answer to this.

Does anyone have a DOCUMENTED source for this?

Livestock I added:

1 skunk cleaner. 12 hermits: red, scarlet, blue. 15 or so assorted snails. Discosomas, Ricordia, Rhodactis mushroom corals, chaetomorpha (sump), 1 feather duster, Montipora digitata, Montipora capricornis, Montipora hispids. assorted zoos, Xenia, Kenya tree coral, green Sinularia, green star polyps, branching hammer coral, bubble coral, Devil's hand leather. Yellow chromis, purple firefish.

Hitchhikers: the usual suspects :crabs, bristles, urchin, mantis shrimp (now in exile in mantis tank)

List of possible/likely newcomers:

Feather duster. PJ cardinal, Bangghai cardinal, Firefish goby, Clownfish, Neon goby, Yellow watchman goby, Orchid dottyback. Various corals.
midiman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ick, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com