Ick infestation

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nitch

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
:( My son has a 55 gallon salt water tank that has become sick with the ICK. He is getting ready to put his fish into a QT tank to treat them. I need to know if his starfish and eel also need to be treated? Also, will a starfish eat a fish that has died, namely a lion fish. He is currently sitting on top of it and the lion fish has been sick with the ICK, we aren't sure yet whether it is still alive or not. Can someone help!

Ailing in Cecil County

Thanks Michel, we will keep an eye on the starfish to make sure. But I am glad the eel should not have to deal with ICK, what a horrible parasite. As soon as we get home we will check and see if the tiger is dead or just happened to be in the way, he has been very sick so we assume he died. I have been reading a lot about solutions to the ICK problem and we are going to try the QT tank tomorrow. Fish sure are time consuming.

Thanks Again,

nitch said:
I have been reading a lot about solutions to the ICK problem and we are going to try the QT tank tomorrow. Fish sure are time consuming.

Thanks Again,

Haha, yeah they are time consuming. I had a reoccurring ick problem in my 110G so I got a 44g Q and a 10g Q tank to put all my fish in for a month until the big tank clears, but now i"m having nitrite problems in my Q tanks. It's just one time consuming problem after another for me. I've been trying to read every post, book, magainze I can get my hands on. I never knew fish tanks were so complicated :D

Inverts cannot feed the parasite so they are of little concern. Hard shelled inverts such as snail, crabs and scleractinian corals can transport the cycts but cannot feed the parasite so there is no danger of leaving the inverts in the main tank while the fish are treated in a QT environment. If the main tank is left fallow for 4-6 weeks, there should be no re-occurances providing treatment of the affected fish was successful.

The eel on the otherhand is a tricky call. They are very resistant but can still be affected by the parasite. In all honesty you could probabley leave the eel in the main tank but there will always be that risk it will carry on the problem. If you wish to be absolutely safe, I would remove the eel if it is still young. I would not recommend moving the eel if on the larger/older side. They can be very stubborn as they age so if moved to often they will stop eating so be careful with that.

Cheers
Steve

Thanks Steve, my son is reading all of these questions and answers in the hope of saving his remaining fish. The star fish DID eat the lion fish, I just hope it had died first.

Jamal, I thank you also, it seems to never end. But we are new at this and keep trying.

My son found a company that deals in herbal medicines since the store bought ICK medicine has not seemed to do anything. His QT tank is almost ready. So far the eel seems to be thriving, it is young, so he will probably move it.

Thanks again.
D

Back
Top Bottom