Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-29-2004, 10:09 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Ick is back!

30gal SW
40pds LR
20pds LS
Fluval 204
Prizme Skimmer
1 Cleaner Shrimp
1 Blood Red Shrimp
1 Hallowen Hermit Crab
Levels are fine
The tank has been set up for about six months, but the water from the tank was added from my 90gal tank that has been up for about a year.

I some how infected my tank above with ick before I started QT my fish. I bought a Flame Angel a few months ago and put it in there and it got ick. I treated it with Hypo salinity for six weeks with success "no visible white spots". I kept the salinity at .09 the entire time (I have a refractor meter). I added the angle back to the tank above last week after the treatment and this week it got ich. The tank was left with only the inverts above for the entire 6 weeks. My questions is...what could have happened for the fish to get ick again? According to the site that describes the treatment with Hypo…it says Ick is not always present in the water it has to be introduced. If that’s the case….did my fish infect the tank or did the tank infect my fish? What should I do now? I’ve started the hypo again in the mean time because I have to do something.

Old 11-29-2004, 01:32 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist

oh..forgot Maxijet 900 powerhead

Old 11-29-2004, 05:16 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

I see why no one is responding to this thread….after reading all what’s going on with Q-Shark on his thread “can't believe it....ich again. I have about had it.” I understand that this is a phenomenon common to even the experts. Pretty discouraging. That link to the site that explains Hypo and Ick was comforting to me when I first read it but now I don’t know how true it is. I guess all I can do is extend the treatment and fallow period a few weeks to see what happens. The thing that really bugs me is the placement of my tank. I just finished decorating my home office with wood floors new trim, paint, furniture the works. What I didn’t mention that the 30gal tank is a 30gal tall tank that I’ve placed in my wall! It is absolutely beautiful. I have this dark mahogany stain trim around the face of the tank where comes out the wall that matches all the trim and furniture. I actually put the tank in the wall myself. I saw an opportunity when I had the hall closet that was on the other side of my office and got the bright idea of building a shelf to support the tank and having it come through the other side of the wall “which was kinda scary”, but I installed French doors and all the wood floors, and trim my self so that was kinda easy. I’m a true DIY if you can’t tell. Anyway I have this beautiful tank in my wall with no fish. Just the inverts and LR & LS. My Crab is pretty entertaining because he is sort of a dare devil…..climbing and falling from rocks….but the short periods that I have had my Flame angel in the tank ….it just really sets it off with fish in it. I can’t just pack it up and quit now because that would leave me with a big hole in my wall (I could patch it, but that’s not an option). I’ll just keep at it. I’m just glad my inverts don’t get sick and all that.
Old 11-30-2004, 11:46 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to quarryshark
Hey buddy, sorry...been away quite a bit for the last 2 day. I agree to extend the fallow time. I'm going 8 weeks maybe more , care to join me?
Spent the last couple night setting up my 3 qt tanks. a 40 gallon and 2-10 gallons...fun fun. Catch and move night is thurday night.
Don't give up, sounds like you have a wonderful setup.
Here's my plan of attack. Catch all the fish.....yikes (talk about fun).
Treat in qt with hypo. As for the main.
Crank the temp to 84 and leave it fallow for 8 week.
If that doesn't do it, it can't be done.
Lets kick it in the @ss this time.
Old 12-01-2004, 10:28 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

Yeah I only had one fish to catch so it was not too bad. I started the treatment Sunday so we should finish around the same time. How high can I raise the temp in my main tank with the inverts that I have?
Old 12-01-2004, 11:49 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to quarryshark
Just do it slowly and make sure no one is stressing. Most animals should be able to handle 84, I have had mine that high. If it worries you, try 82-83.

Tags
ick

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com