Ick?? Maybe

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

easyian

Aquarium Advice Freak
Last night about 8 pm i noticed my tang was acting strange. He was digging in the sand with his nose and kinda rubbing up against the rocks. I didn't notice anything at first but after watching him for a wile i could see little white specks on his side. After trying to catch him for an hour i had to finally tear down the rock and get him and the foxface into Qt. Well this evening i get home from work and look in on the two in Qt and find no signs on either of them anymore. Do you think this could have been ick or some other type of parasite and Qt ing in hypo would get rid of this so quickly? Do you think I should keep them in Qt for a while say the full 6 weeks recommended for this problem. My three other clowns show no signs at all.

JFTR
90 Gal, 100 p live rock, tested parameters last night amm 0, nitrite 0, nitrate >5 40 odd snails, peppermint shrimp, CBS, Banded brittle and one lonely scarlet leg hermit.

Sounds like ich. It will fall off the fish as it goes through the life cycle and reappear in greater numbers.
Yes, I would keep up the hypo at .009 SPG (measured with a hydrometer) for 4 weeks and leave the main fishless for 6 weeks.
Good catch!! :)

Agreed. from what I hear (I'm no expert) hypo will take care of the external ones, but there are others living under the skin which will take a while to go away.

It may be wise to invest in a refractor meter if you are going to be using Hypo. Those swinging arm Hydro meters are not consistently accurate and too high salinity will not kill the parasite and too low salinity will harm the fish. You should be able to find on for a reasonable price on ebay.

Back
Top Bottom