Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-28-2014, 06:03 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Ick outbreak

Before I begin I have scoured the forums and read as many threads on this as possible. Back to the problem I have had an outbreak of ick taking my powder brown, yellow and hippo tangs. I need to setup an emergency qt tank to treat the rest of my fish. I have a 20g with hob filter and a heater. Question is can I use some of the dt water and a few pieces of LR for it? I don't believe I have time for it to cycle at the rate my fish are dropping. Please help!

Old 03-28-2014, 06:09 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

The cycle isnt in the water unfortunately. It is in the hard surfaces in the tank. BUT I would not add any of the rock as you will make it unuseable in the future.
Just provide a hiding place for the fish in QT.
How many fish are you wanting to move over?

Old 03-28-2014, 06:33 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

Carey I'm not worried about the rock I have plenty, I would like the fish to be as least stressed as possible. The fish are 2 small oc clowns, a goby (can't remember the name) a dottyback and a damsel
Old 03-28-2014, 07:45 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Size wise the 20g should be good. I'm pretty sure adding any live rock and then treating the tank will kill the beneficial bacteria as well making it kinda useless. I def wouldnt move the water over though, you might just be bringing more ich into the qt. Granted, it will die during treatment anyways, but if your fish are that infected that extra ich may make a difference.
If it were me i would setup that qt and move the fish asap if they are showing any signs of the disease and do what you can. Those fish are kinda small so the water changes might not be too too bad to keep the ammonia under control while treating.
Hope things work out for you and you can save the fish you have left.
Old 03-28-2014, 07:51 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

Thanks Carey I do have some plastic logs rocks and such in a cupboard from a FW tank I tore down could I use those in there? On a brighter note my hippo tang appeared out of nowhere I thought he was dead but he's covered in ich. Also at what level do I want the copper in the tank? Or just follow the directions on the bottle?
Old 03-28-2014, 08:03 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist

Thank you melosu58 I have seen that post on other threads and read them all. Kicking myself in the you know what right now for not taking steps to prevent this
Old 03-28-2014, 09:10 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

If you are going with copper you need a copper test and some cupramine. Follow the directions exactly and keep the level steady and it will work.
Old 03-28-2014, 09:33 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Activist

Carey all I have is coppersafe and no lfs to get cupramine and like stated above I don't think I have time to order stuff in this whole thing has really caught me offguard
Old 03-28-2014, 10:06 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

If you are dosing with a copper medication you will without a doubt need a test for copper, no getting around that unfortunately.
You can try hyposalinity though, just have to monitor the salinity closely. You can drop it a few points each day and the ich should drop right off the fish.

Tags
ick, outbreak

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com