Ick outbreak in main and qt

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tbarcomb

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a porcupine puffer and some triggers in a 90 gallon tAnk and the puffer and one trigger have ick bad. Anytime I use chems on the 90 the puffer starts breathing funny and acting funny any ideas?

And in my qt tank the trigger has ick really bad also I can't put the fish to gether cause the trigger in the qt will kill anything so any ideas on how to treat it in both tanks without using chems will be helpful

Thanks

Try "kick ick". It has no copper. I use it in my reef tank with no problems and it worked well. I was also lucky to not have a bad ick issue.

No I feed strait from the pack. Is that safe for the other fish in the tank since I can't move him out into the qt?

It hasn't affected any other fish and I have quite a few. As far as feeding- I'm assuming you mean frozen food? I always rinse mine to get the juices off and then thaw the remainder in garlic and vita-chem.

U mean fresh garlic? Cause I have this garlic stuff u soak food in to attract fish. Will it work with silversides?

I also have the knor ich stuff but havent used it cause last time I did I lost a few fish

It's garlic juice. And you could soak silversides in it as well.

I've never heard of that treatment. All I know is that kick ich has no copper so it won't hurt coral or inverts

Is the garlic a way to prevent it? And will it help the puffer get over it?

Garlic can help to reduce the effects and prevent if I remember correctly. I feed garlic daily

I'll start it tommmorw then.

Should I use fresh or will the liquid garlic be fine?

They sell just liquid garlic at most LFS. But I don't see anything wrong with buying minced garlic if it's cheaper at your local grocery store and just using the juice.

I've used kick ich in two tanks and it had no effect, maybe I was just unlucky. I've learned my lesson the hard way and had two outbreaks inside my DT since I didn't quarantine. If you can, set up another QT and take the fishes out. I'm currently doing hyposalinity on my QT and it has cleared up the ich completely within days. Haven't seen any signs of it for three weeks

Back
Top Bottom