Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-21-2004, 10:19 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Ick Problem

I have a 3 month old 55gal salt tank which has cycled. It seems no matter what fish I put in it they get ick. I have about 40lbs of live rock, 4 anemones, 2 snails and 1 skunk shrimp. I have returned a tang, coral beauty and lost several shrimp. What is going on?

Old 07-21-2004, 10:22 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Once the parasite enters the system it won't die off until the aquarium has been left fishless for 4-6 weeks. How long did you wait before new additions?

Click HERE to vote for Aquarium Advice!
Atari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2004, 10:23 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to quarryshark
You have the parasite entrenched in your system. It just keep going through its life cycle and attacking you fish. You need to leave the tank void of fish for 6 weeks or so. This will allow the parasite to die off due to lack of hosts. I'm going through it right now. A lot of us have.
Old 07-21-2004, 10:27 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Also once you've gone through this fallow period you have to QT all new fish for 4 weeks, whether they show signs of ich or not. Otherwise you will end up introducing the parasite to the tank again.

Old 07-21-2004, 10:36 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yea, I just got through chasing my fish through 100+ gal tank trying to catch them. That was a pain.

Vote for AquariumAdvice
dralarms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2004, 10:53 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by justmy2cents
Yea, I just got through chasing my fish through 100+ gal tank trying to catch them. That was a pain.
You too ? Man, must be something in the water (pun intended).
Old 07-22-2004, 07:44 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Well I made the mistake of listening to my lfs. He had this flame angle for a month of so, beautiful fish, no signs of trama anywhere. Didn't have my QT set up and he said he hadn't added anything for 2 1/2 weeks to the tank. Said I would be fine . Well after a week and a half I noticed a couple white spots. Now my Regal tang looks like somebody is trying to cook him. I mean looks like he has been salted down ready for the frying pan.

Vote for AquariumAdvice
dralarms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2004, 10:56 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via ICQ to Gauge Send a message via Yahoo to Gauge
I don't share everyone else's point of view on the issue of QT tanks. I don't believe they are necessary unless you have some livestock that you want to proctect at absolutely all costs. QT tanks are very stressful on fish as they are usually too small and have poor water quality. I don't want to start a debate about it, but that's just my feeling.

I agree with everyone that you should leave your tank empty (of fish) for at least 6 weeks. Lowering your salinity to 1.018 or 1.019 and raising your temperature to 82 degrees would also help as it speeds up the life cycle of the parasite (causing it to die off faster without hosts).

Finally, when you are ready to add a fish, I would highly recommend that you do not add a tang. They are very suseptible to ich. I would recommend something much more hardy, like a clown.

92-gallon corner tank, 100lbs of LR, 140lbs of sand, 250watt 10,000K MH, 110watts of actinic PCs, Mag 7 return, custom refugium, AquaC EV180 w/ Mag 5

Female lyretail anthias, eyelash blenny, tomato clown, saddleback clown, firefish goby, 2 sand-sifting stars
Gauge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2004, 11:20 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Um, sorry I want to protect all my livestock. Clowns can/do get ich too. You should qt everything IMO.
Also, if he values his inverts, he should not drop his spg. The fallow period in itself should do.
Old 07-22-2004, 11:49 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Why would you not want to protect your pets? And if he uses a QT then he can add any fish he likes no matter how susceptable they may be. I find it a bit strange that you would be concerned about the stress to one particular fish in the QT and yet the amount of stress that not QT'ing could cause ALL the other livestock doesn't seem important.

I'll gladly go on record and say it's extremely poor practice to not QT all new fish. And I don't think opinion has anything to do with it.

Tags
ick

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com