ick problem....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Brian Vartanian

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Sorry to be repetitive if i am being so..... but my gf got a baby blue tang for my tank and she LOVES the thing, i think he is starting to get ick i notice all the signs like scratching agiast things and white spots. now when i used to have freshwater i used this stuff called ickgaurd to get rid of ick. do they have that for saltwater?

if not and i have to set up a qt tank what should i buy to quarantine him?

if he dies she will cry very much, he is only about 3/4 inch and a baby. none of my other fish have signs so i dont think it spread....

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/showquestion.php?faq=2&fldAuto=17

Ridich and other quick fix medications have a bad track record. They usually don't work and can harm many other things if used in your display tank. A qt tank is your best bet. It's a small investment but could potentially save you lots of money and in your case, a sad gf. Go to your LFS and purchase a small aquarium setup and administer hypo. If you don't know what hypo is search for it and you'll quickly find out about it. Also, read the above article for more information on how to properly set up a qt tank.

I'm not sure if it has been proven to work but many people also say garlic helps the fish fight off ick. I would definitely QT the tang away from the other fish, but you might want to try adidng a little garlic to the other fish's food to help them fight it if ick is in the main tank. A cleaner shrimp will also supposedly help rid ich in the main tank also, I'm not sure about this though so somebody else chime in.

The best thing to do is QT all fish and treat them all together and let the main tank lay fallow for 6-8 weeks to definitely get rid of any ick in the tank. Realistically, most people don't actually do this for one reason or another (most of them want fish in the main tank, selfish but true).

No matter what, you must QT the tang, or you are destined for problems.

ok, i noticed this yesterday also but didnt mention it becuase i had just fed the fish......my foxface, its stumach is HUGE, it looks like it ate WAY to much but i havent fed them in about 18 hours now, its almost as if its pregnant.....lol.... any clues?

I agree that alot of your ick meds have a terrible track record. Never seen one work yet.

Brian Vartanian said:
ok, i noticed this yesterday also but didnt mention it becuase i had just fed the fish......my foxface, its stumach is HUGE, it looks like it ate WAY to much but i havent fed them in about 18 hours now, its almost as if its pregnant.....lol.... any clues?
What do you feed, how often and how are the foods stored?

Cheers
Steve

well i tried dipping the tang in a bath of FORMALIN3 for about 45 minutes and the ick over his eye is 90% fallen off and if hanging on by a thread. and some of the other like dusted parts are starting to fall off. im adding melafix, and using garlic to soak my food in becuase i hear it helps fish fight off ick

im gonna give the tang another bath tomorrow it seems to help

as for the foxface i started another thread for him, he is almost dead tho :cry:

Back
Top Bottom