Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-22-2015, 11:31 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Ick problem bout to nuke tank.. Need advice

Befor you go nuts and cause a tank crash, there are some better methods.

I have ich in the tank now (Hippo Tang). He's the only one showing signs but treating the whole tank is the only way of controlling it.

Try Metro+Focus - Prazipro+Herbtana Micro lift. Turn off the UV and Skimmer. After a week, do a large water change an repeat the same process. It's worked for me a few times over the years.

160 Gal -
Hippo Tang
Fox Face
Tomato Clown
Emperator Angel
Purple Tang
Unicorn Tang
Sailfin Tang
Kole Tang
3 Chromis
Some lil purple Guy - Royal Gramma

Few inverts, cleaner shrimp, star fish, few anems....

You can see QT'ing fish isn't in the cards. Lol.

Old 04-22-2015, 11:48 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Ick problem bout to nuke tank.. Need advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by inkman562 View Post
Befor you go nuts and cause a tank crash, there are some better methods.

I have ich in the tank now (Hippo Tang). He's the only one showing signs but treating the whole tank is the only way of controlling it.

Try Metro+Focus - Prazipro+Herbtana Micro lift. Turn off the UV and Skimmer. After a week, do a large water change an repeat the same process. It's worked for me a few times over the years.

160 Gal -
Hippo Tang
Fox Face
Tomato Clown
Emperator Angel
Purple Tang
Unicorn Tang
Sailfin Tang
Kole Tang
3 Chromis
Some lil purple Guy - Royal Gramma

Few inverts, cleaner shrimp, star fish, few anems....

You can see QT'ing fish isn't in the cards. Lol.

why turn off the UV
doing large water changes could also be counter-productive as that introduce stress and further compromises their immune system.
Daily or every other day, small water changes using a gravel vac to remove any tomonts (developing/growing ich) that are residing in the substrate is a much safer and better approach.

No ich treatment should be considered successful until you have gone a few months without any outbreaks as the life cycle of the parasite is about 6 weeks give or take and a good portion of that time is spent dormant in the substrate.

Old 04-22-2015, 11:57 AM   #13

Turn the UV off is using Prazipro , applying Metro directly to the tank, Herbal ich remedies. Running uv during treatment may neutralize the effectiveness of the meds. Running the Skimmer will remove the meds from your water. As for water changes, I go 25% weekly for 3 - 4 weeks.

It may be stressful on a smaller sized tank. It's all based on total water volume.

I'm not claiming to be a fish Dr. But can only say what works in my tank.💉💊
Old 04-22-2015, 12:07 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Freak

I used ftesh garlic and chop them into little pieces and fix it with foods. Then few days later to do 20% waterchange.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Aquarium Advice mobile app
Old 04-22-2015, 01:16 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Turn the UV off is using Prazipro , applying Metro directly to the tank, Herbal ich remedies. Running uv during treatment may neutralize the effectiveness of the meds. Running the Skimmer will remove the meds from your water. As for water changes, I go 25% weekly for 3 - 4 weeks.

It may be stressful on a smaller sized tank. It's all based on total water volume.

I'm not claiming to be a fish Dr. But can only say what works in my tank.����
I see that the directions call for turning off UV for Prazipro. The only reason I can think of is uv may cause the chemical to breakdown...
BUT according to the info about the active ingredient, Praziquantel, it is only to be used for flatworms;
Praziquantel - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia and in the listing of parasites treated, no mention of ich or oodinium, so using it in this instance isn't recommended, no matter what the manufacture says, they are trying to sell you their product.

Actually a lot of these treatments are pretty much snake-oil in that there is NO conclusive evidence that any of these treatments actually work.
At best they boost immunity, but do not eradicate the parasites.

The only tried and true methods for eradicating ich from a saltwater system is, copper or hypo salinity and leaving the display fallow for 8-10 weeks.
Old 04-22-2015, 01:37 PM   #16

A lot of times, Flukes (that are treated with Prazi) can lead to fish getting Ich by means of stress.

Again - whatever work in your tank.
Old 04-22-2015, 01:58 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
A lot of times, Flukes (that are treated with Prazi) can lead to fish getting Ich by means of stress.

Again - whatever work in your tank.
that's kind of a stretch to justify using it, don't ya think?
That only happens if the ich is already present in the tank, and it "always being there" is more myth than fact.

It may just be me, but I see little point in using things for other than their intended use when it comes to medications, and medicating a display is a rather risky proposition.

and again, there is no conclusive proof that any of these "reef safe" medications actually work, even the manufacturers have conceded that point.
Most of all the "evidence" is coincidental with no clear connection between the treatment and the effect.
correlation isn't causation.
Like I said, the only benefit is possibly a boost to their immune system.
Old 04-22-2015, 04:08 PM   #18

I agree - there is no "Reef Safe" methods. I can only share MY EXPERIENCES.

Who said to just throw meds at the fish? Come on, really? Not a newbie here guys. Lol.

Proven Ich Remedies: Copper or Going Fallow.

My personal experiences: Metro+Focus - Garlic Enhancer, and if ich was a result of a secondary infection like flukes, Prazipro in conjunction.
Old 04-22-2015, 04:20 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Freak

Personally I like the natural approach. Garlic extract is my way of curing Ich.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Aquarium Advice mobile app
Old 04-22-2015, 04:21 PM   #20

Personally, I like a little bit of Scotch on the rocks with a side of water... Wrong forum. Whoops..

Tags
advice, ick, problem, tan, tank

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com