Ick problem bout to nuke tank.. Need advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FOWLR-JUNKIE

Aquarium Advice Regular
Ok y'all.. I have tough skin so don't hold back.. I ran into a ick problem alil while back and now im trying to fix the problem.. I introduced fish I ordered from bluezooaquatics straight in my tank and now I see it's taking a toll on my other fish.. No signs of any parasites before than.. I lost the naso tang I had got and my beloved porky pine puffer to this.. I removed all my fish into 3 separate quarantines tank dosed with copper (seachem cupramine).. I have a 240g fowlr tank with about 200lbs of live rock and sand.. With all my fish removed I was going to dose my 240 with copper also.. Is this a good move? I removed them so that they don't have to battle with the raise of ammonia and nitrate cuz I know it will put my tank through a mini cycle by killing my live rock .. I was going to leave it for about 4-5 weeks empty to let the ick die out.. Any info will be highly appreciate.. I do not plan on making my tank into a coral tank ever..

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

I have bio-pellets, carbon, phosguard and a super reef octopus 6000 running on my tank.. I was going to stop the carbon and phosguard but leave the bio pellets and skimmer running.. Should turn off the biopellets also..?

Do NOT dose your display. You kill off everything with copper, to include the bacteria base. You'll never be able to keep any inverts in the tank as the copper will be in the rock and sand.

Thanks snipe.. You are always the first one to reply to all my post.. Lol.. But I honestly KNOW I will never put any type of inverts or corals of any sort in this tank cause my 2 yo trigger will kill them within seconds and I plan on staying with a aggressive base FOWLR tank.. I have a 90g reef.. I have a dragon eel that I got for Xmas and I have him in a 75 gallon tank.. No fish stores will hold him for me cuz they don't want to be responsible and my fiancé refuses for me to get rid of him.. I'm planning on a 600g tank at the middle of the year.. I know with fish hobby it's patients to everything but I'm looking for the fastest respond I can get to get everything back on track with no signs of ick in my tank.. I'm looking to get a bigger tank cuz I had the eel for 2 months and he has already grew 2-3inch he is about 11inch now..

So do I just leave the fish out the tank for about 8-10 weeks and let the ick die off? And just asking carbon and poly filters do take out the copper from the tank.. And seachem also make a copper removal..?

Live rock will absorb the copper and it will be in them forever. Id let the tank sit fallow till the ich dies off.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

So do I just leave the fish out the tank for about 8-10 weeks and let the ick die off? And just asking carbon and poly filters do take out the copper from the tank.. And seachem also make a copper removal..?

considering you have already quarantined them, yes, the best course of action at this point is to leave the display fallow for 8-10 weeks.
during this time you should still do partial water changes making certain to vacuum the substrate to remove as many of the little baby buggers in the sand as possible.

My fish lived in large trash cans during a case of marine velvet. That's what I used as a hospital. Left my display empty for 8 weeks. I now Quarantine everything.

You need Seachem Cuprisorb to remove copper.
Do not use copper inDT as mentioned.
It will leach possibly forever.
Leaving tank empty and using the transfer method for fish will best nd be safest for all.

Befor you go nuts and cause a tank crash, there are some better methods.

I have ich in the tank now (Hippo Tang). He's the only one showing signs but treating the whole tank is the only way of controlling it.

Try Metro+Focus - Prazipro+Herbtana Micro lift. Turn off the UV and Skimmer. After a week, do a large water change an repeat the same process. It's worked for me a few times over the years.

160 Gal -
Hippo Tang
Fox Face
Tomato Clown
Emperator Angel
Purple Tang
Unicorn Tang
Sailfin Tang
Kole Tang
3 Chromis
Some lil purple Guy - Royal Gramma

Few inverts, cleaner shrimp, star fish, few anems....

You can see QT'ing fish isn't in the cards. Lol.

Last edited by a moderator:
Befor you go nuts and cause a tank crash, there are some better methods.

I have ich in the tank now (Hippo Tang). He's the only one showing signs but treating the whole tank is the only way of controlling it.

Try Metro+Focus - Prazipro+Herbtana Micro lift. Turn off the UV and Skimmer. After a week, do a large water change an repeat the same process. It's worked for me a few times over the years.

160 Gal -
Hippo Tang
Fox Face
Tomato Clown
Emperator Angel
Purple Tang
Unicorn Tang
Sailfin Tang
Kole Tang
3 Chromis
Some lil purple Guy - Royal Gramma

Few inverts, cleaner shrimp, star fish, few anems....

You can see QT'ing fish isn't in the cards. Lol.

:confused:
why turn off the UV
doing large water changes could also be counter-productive as that introduce stress and further compromises their immune system.
Daily or every other day, small water changes using a gravel vac to remove any tomonts (developing/growing ich) that are residing in the substrate is a much safer and better approach.

No ich treatment should be considered successful until you have gone a few months without any outbreaks as the life cycle of the parasite is about 6 weeks give or take and a good portion of that time is spent dormant in the substrate.

Last edited by a moderator:
Turn the UV off is using Prazipro , applying Metro directly to the tank, Herbal ich remedies. Running uv during treatment may neutralize the effectiveness of the meds. Running the Skimmer will remove the meds from your water. As for water changes, I go 25% weekly for 3 - 4 weeks.

It may be stressful on a smaller sized tank. It's all based on total water volume.

I'm not claiming to be a fish Dr. But can only say what works in my tank.??

I used ftesh garlic and chop them into little pieces and fix it with foods. Then few days later to do 20% waterchange.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Turn the UV off is using Prazipro , applying Metro directly to the tank, Herbal ich remedies. Running uv during treatment may neutralize the effectiveness of the meds. Running the Skimmer will remove the meds from your water. As for water changes, I go 25% weekly for 3 - 4 weeks.

It may be stressful on a smaller sized tank. It's all based on total water volume.

I'm not claiming to be a fish Dr. But can only say what works in my tank.����

I see that the directions call for turning off UV for Prazipro. The only reason I can think of is uv may cause the chemical to breakdown...
BUT according to the info about the active ingredient, Praziquantel, it is only to be used for flatworms;
Praziquantel - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia and in the listing of parasites treated, no mention of ich or oodinium, so using it in this instance isn't recommended, no matter what the manufacture says, they are trying to sell you their product.

Actually a lot of these treatments are pretty much snake-oil in that there is NO conclusive evidence that any of these treatments actually work.
At best they boost immunity, but do not eradicate the parasites.

The only tried and true methods for eradicating ich from a saltwater system is, copper or hypo salinity and leaving the display fallow for 8-10 weeks.

A lot of times, Flukes (that are treated with Prazi) can lead to fish getting Ich by means of stress.

Again - whatever work in your tank.

A lot of times, Flukes (that are treated with Prazi) can lead to fish getting Ich by means of stress.

Again - whatever work in your tank.

that's kind of a stretch to justify using it, don't ya think?
That only happens if the ich is already present in the tank, and it "always being there" is more myth than fact.

It may just be me, but I see little point in using things for other than their intended use when it comes to medications, and medicating a display is a rather risky proposition.

and again, there is no conclusive proof that any of these "reef safe" medications actually work, even the manufacturers have conceded that point.
Most of all the "evidence" is coincidental with no clear connection between the treatment and the effect.
correlation isn't causation.
Like I said, the only benefit is possibly a boost to their immune system.

I agree - there is no "Reef Safe" methods. I can only share MY EXPERIENCES.

Who said to just throw meds at the fish? Come on, really? Not a newbie here guys. Lol.

Proven Ich Remedies: Copper or Going Fallow.

My personal experiences: Metro+Focus - Garlic Enhancer, and if ich was a result of a secondary infection like flukes, Prazipro in conjunction.

Personally I like the natural approach. Garlic extract is my way of curing Ich.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Personally, I like a little bit of Scotch on the rocks with a side of water... Wrong forum. Whoops..

Back
Top Bottom