Ick - Starting over

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

srhnglnn

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello! I'm new to this site and I'm researching Ick and the next steps to take.

We have a 55 gallon fresh water tank. Before our tank was infected with Ick we had one large fantail fish, 2 medium sized Shubunkin's, a Black Moor and 2 large sucker fish (5 and 6 inches long). Not that the size probably matter! We've had these fish for 7 years. The Shubunkin's for 2 years.

Anyways... we decided to add to the tank! So 2 weeks ago we bought 4 little fantails.. from Walmart.. yes I know.. bad move! A few days went by and I noticed spots on my black moor and large fantail! The next day my fantail fish was very lethargic looking and almost looked like it was covered in baby powder! Right then I knew something wasn't right and found out it was Ick! I had NEVER heard of this before! So we started treating them asap.

During the next few days we lost all of our fish except ONE small fantail that is still swimming around our huge tank.

Last night my husband and I took a trip to walmart.. just to see what the fish looked like! I had a feeling the fish we bought infected our tank but I wanted to see for sure. Sure enough the two tanks we got our fish from were infested with spots all over them! SOOOO frustrating!!!!

So now my question is what steps to take next to start over!?? What is the BEST way to prepare my tank for new fish? Should I remove the last little fish we have into a smaller tank for now? Do I completely empty the tank and scrub it down or just treat it with the existing water?

Thank you so much in advance for your advice!!
Sarah

Opps.. I just noticed that I posted this in the saltwater fish forum!

Back
Top Bottom