Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 07-02-2005, 11:48 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
ick total kill tank uv sterilizer

Hi I've been up and running since February. I finally hired a new guy starting his own fish fish service. He comes weekly and stocks my tank. 3 weels ago my entire tank died. Now I have one maroon clown and a new angel that has ick. He has added clarpa algae. He has treated my tank 2 times with chemi clean. He is pushing a UV sterilizer for $200.00 he bought . He says that is the answer to ick , bacteria etc. Should I buy it?

barbara Travers
barbtrave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2005, 01:13 PM   #2
No, UV's do not "cure" parasite problems. At best you end up with a reduction in the theront levels but it is quite rare if ever it would completely eliminate C. irritans from the tank.

Your best course of action is remove all the fish and treat in a <<quarantine tank>> with <<hyposalinity>> if you have a refractometer or failing that Cupramine also in a QT. As long as a fish remains in the system, the life cycle of the parasite will continue. As well, all future additions should go through the QT process to eliminate adding problems to your display and keeps it parasite free.

A decent 20 gal long and appropriate equipment + the refractometer would cost less than $100.00 and be a guaranteed long term investment.

ick, tan, uv sterilizer

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com