Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 12-29-2013, 05:11 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Regular
 
Jesse Greer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Cincinnati, Ohio
Posts: 76
I am by far no professional, but what worked for me was buying a small tank, something cheep with at heater, and put the fish in that. I put my yellow tang and my fire fish in a 1 gallon tank for a week. I used OuIck Cure by AP. The main ingredient Formalin. What ever you do, do not put this product into the main tank. I did a small water change ever day like half a gal, and used another product called Ammonia Safe, because of the small size of the tank, the ammonia was high. I just didn't have the money at the time to buy a bigger tank. Now this sounds crazy, but I only did this because he was really bad. Within two days, he was clear to the eye. I treated him for a week, along with my fire fish and they both survived. Good luck.
__________________

__________________
Jesse Greer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 03:47 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
ColBen112's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: North dakota
Posts: 128
The problem with ich is you could let you tank go fallow for 8 weeks and cure all the fish of the ich. And then switch them back over to the dt. But if you buy any fish from you LFS u have to qt even if it doesn't look like ich is apparent. One slip up and it's back but you might not see it for so time. Fish can live in the same system and never show signs of it. As long as they are healthy they shouldn't contract it. I have ich right now in my tank and I am using kick ich. It might not work it might I've used it in my other tanks and all signs of ich were gone so I decided to use it in my new tank I'm the type of guy who doesn't want to wait around to qt a fish and what not and sometimes it bites u in the (moderator edit)
__________________

__________________
ColBen112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 10:47 AM   #13
member
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColBen112 View Post
The problem with ich is you could let you tank go fallow for 8 weeks and cure all the fish of the ich. And then switch them back over to the dt. But if you buy any fish from you LFS u have to qt even if it doesn't look like ich is apparent. One slip up and it's back but you might not see it for so time. Fish can live in the same system and never show signs of it. As long as they are healthy they shouldn't contract it. I have ich right now in my tank and I am using kick ich. It might not work it might I've used it in my other tanks and all signs of ich were gone so I decided to use it in my new tank I'm the type of guy who doesn't want to wait around to qt a fish and what not and sometimes it bites u in the (moderator edit)

You use kick ich. In your tank with corals in it? Or fish only
__________________
libimagana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 11:13 AM   #14
member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: North carolina
Posts: 2,783
Quote:
Originally Posted by libimagana View Post

You use kick ich. In your tank with corals in it? Or fish only
Never medicate in the DT, it will screw things up. All of those treatments that say invert and coral safe are crap. You have to setup a QT tank.

I used a 10g i got from petco for 13$, then bought a aqueon quiet flow 20 which was 30$, then went to petsmart and got a cheap 25$ topfin heater, some coppersafe treatment, and then got some 1" pvc pipe.

So here was my total:
Filter- 30$
Heater-25$
Tank-13$
Pvc-2$
Meds-16$

Total- 86$ to save your tank from death.

Then drain tank water into your QT and add media from the DT. Fallow for 8 weeks and treat.

Do wc every other day
__________________
Fishman007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 11:15 AM   #15
member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: North carolina
Posts: 2,783
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse Greer View Post
I am by far no professional, but what worked for me was buying a small tank, something cheep with at heater, and put the fish in that. I put my yellow tang and my fire fish in a 1 gallon tank for a week. I used OuIck Cure by AP. The main ingredient Formalin. What ever you do, do not put this product into the main tank. I did a small water change ever day like half a gal, and used another product called Ammonia Safe, because of the small size of the tank, the ammonia was high. I just didn't have the money at the time to buy a bigger tank. Now this sounds crazy, but I only did this because he was really bad. Within two days, he was clear to the eye. I treated him for a week, along with my fire fish and they both survived. Good luck.
Wow,
I cant believe they survived! Must have stressed the crap out of them!
__________________
Fishman007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 07:44 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
JsQuid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 255
Sorry to inform you all, but my last fish didn't make it. The Royal Gramma wasn't able to pull through. I woke up to find him dead. I guess I'll just let the tank stay fallow for at least 6 weeks & then take it from there.
__________________
JsQuid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 08:14 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: new york
Posts: 1,321
Sorry to hear that
__________________
tonedogz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 08:28 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Regular
 
Jesse Greer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Cincinnati, Ohio
Posts: 76
Sorry.

Sent from my HTC Desire C using Aquarium Advice mobile app
__________________
Jesse Greer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 03:49 AM   #19
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
JsQuid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 255
It's so discouraging! But thank you all for your concerns! Any input or concerns will be greatly appreciated.
__________________
JsQuid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 07:41 AM   #20
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
ColBen112's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: North dakota
Posts: 128
I've medicated in my display tanks people say kick ich doesn't work well it works well enough for me haven't lost a fish coral or invert and no signs of ich. I'm guessing it could be hit or miss for some people.
__________________

__________________
ColBen112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
eat, ick, treatment

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off








» Photo Contest Winners








Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:48 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.