Ick treatments

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

flipper0512

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I know i know i know........always qt new fish. Well i took a chance and lost. So here i am. 90 gallon fish only. With an ick outbreak. I do not uave means to hospital everyone. So what are my options within my dt? Hypo? Copper if i remove rock and inverts? Inhabitants are foxface. Koran and cream angel 2 clowns w chromis 2 bannerfish and goby. Chochip star. A bunch of turbos and a horseshoe crab.

I know its my own fault. What would u do?

Sent from my LG-D851 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I actually don't QT my fish. We all don't have room for it even though it is best practice.
With that said, there are only two true ways to battle ich. Copper based medication or hyposalinity. That said, neither of these can be done in the display tank and need a hospital set up. This will need to last 6-8 weeks so the ich can go through its life stages in the display.
Now, ich is something fish under ideal parameters and conditions can get over on their own...but it is an iffy thing to even attempt. This is NOT something I would attempt in your tank as there are some creatures that don't belong in that tank...the horseshoe crab and the bannerfish require much larger systems to survive. Horseshoes shouldn't be in our systems period and one bannerfish shouldn't be in a tank under 100 gallons, let alone two, to be healthy long term. Same with the cream angel. Because of this it simply won't work.

If i decide to treat with copper will a 40b be enough

Sent from my LG-D851 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I actually don't QT my fish. We all don't have room for it even though it is best practice.
With that said, there are only two true ways to battle ich. Copper based medication or hyposalinity. That said, neither of these can be done in the display tank and need a hospital set up.

If the inverts were removed, I don't see any reason why hypo couldn't be done in the display.
copper in a separate tank would effect a faster cure, but using copper comes with it's own bag of concerns and risks and you still have to leave the display fallow for 8+ weeks anyway, so.....

If it were me considering there are is coral and not a lot of inverts, I would try hypo in the display as the least stressful treatment.
In a hospital tank you have to catch them, put them in a more crowded tank, subject them to copper treatments, all could potentially lead to a stress induced disaster.
Why go through all that when you can treat in the display?

Back
Top Bottom