Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-11-2005, 08:02 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

ick what has to go to Qtin.

my fish have ick Do I have to take out my shrimps, eel, velvet nudibranch, stars , How do I take my eel from under the rocks

Old 02-11-2005, 08:05 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

You don't have to remove the shrimps, nudi, or stars. As for getting the eel out of the rocks, I don't know. Try coaxing him out with food I guess. Or maybe bait a bottle or something depending on how big he is. Good luck.

Old 02-12-2005, 08:09 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

inverts are not hosts just get the fish out for 28 days
increase temp to 85
or reduce salinity to 1.018(slowly very slowly)
Old 02-12-2005, 08:29 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
increase temp to 85
or reduce salinity to 1.018(slowly very slowly)

I assume you mean for the fish, and not the main tank.

Livestock I added:

1 skunk cleaner. 12 hermits: red, scarlet, blue. 15 or so assorted snails. Discosomas, Ricordia, Rhodactis mushroom corals, chaetomorpha (sump), 1 feather duster, Montipora digitata, Montipora capricornis, Montipora hispids. assorted zoos, Xenia, Kenya tree coral, green Sinularia, green star polyps, branching hammer coral, bubble coral, Devil's hand leather. Yellow chromis, purple firefish.

Hitchhikers: the usual suspects :crabs, bristles, urchin, mantis shrimp (now in exile in mantis tank)

List of possible/likely newcomers:

Feather duster. PJ cardinal, Bangghai cardinal, Firefish goby, Clownfish, Neon goby, Yellow watchman goby, Orchid dottyback. Various corals.
midiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2005, 12:09 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

Remove your fish and eel to a qt - leave the main tank alone - fallow for 6 weeks. This assures that the parasites die off and have nothing to live off of. Do a hyposalinity (lower the salinity slowly to 1.009) for 4 weeks. Slowly raise the salinity back to the sg of the main tank. By this time 6 weeks has past and you can reacclimate your fish to the main. Good luck - I'm in week 4 of this procedure!
55 gal. reef. Coralife lunar lights 4 x 65, 120 lbs live rock. Remora skimmer, 3 power heads. 2 tank raise false percula,2 pajama cardinal,hermits, snails, Xenia, leathers, mushrooms, polyp frags, yellow sea cucumber, And last but not least - the miserable mantis.
Terry
stusclan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2005, 12:44 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Establishing the new lower salinity, the return to normal salinity, and maintaining hyposalinity can be tricky and time-consuming, though. SG has to be low enough, yet high enough. Assuming your QT is smaller than your main tank, top off may be an issue depending on evap rate. I seems to me that if you are going to remove your fish to QT anyway, a copper treatment combined with slightly lowered salinity (thought to ease the stress level in fish) in the QT may be a lot easier.

Of course, I hope never to have to find out for myself!!

BTW: It is an absolute pleasure to read and participate in this and the other forums. I agree with all of my other brother newbies that the advice here is first-rate. Even when opinions differ, it provides a series of options so that I can make my ultimate decision based on a knowledge of the facts. Thanks to all you vets who take the time out to help. ALthough I've done a TON of research and am probably "book smart" when it comes to FOWLR, there is nothing like experience to provide the ultimate knowledge. The problem with learning by experience, though, is it often gives us the test BEFORE we've learned the lesson.

Livestock I added:

1 skunk cleaner. 12 hermits: red, scarlet, blue. 15 or so assorted snails. Discosomas, Ricordia, Rhodactis mushroom corals, chaetomorpha (sump), 1 feather duster, Montipora digitata, Montipora capricornis, Montipora hispids. assorted zoos, Xenia, Kenya tree coral, green Sinularia, green star polyps, branching hammer coral, bubble coral, Devil's hand leather. Yellow chromis, purple firefish.

Hitchhikers: the usual suspects :crabs, bristles, urchin, mantis shrimp (now in exile in mantis tank)

List of possible/likely newcomers:

Feather duster. PJ cardinal, Bangghai cardinal, Firefish goby, Clownfish, Neon goby, Yellow watchman goby, Orchid dottyback. Various corals.
midiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2005, 01:25 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist

Midiman, I agree with the added amount of time involved with the method of hyposalinity, I felt that this method was best for my fish. It was my yellow tang that came down with brown ick, and it seems that hypo is the recommended treatment for this. Also, I didn't want to stress the tang and my perculas with the copper treatment. They are happy, eating, swimming and playing as usual. It just really takes time to make sure that the topoffs and water changes don't mess with the sg too much. With my life being as crazy as it is, I enjoy my time with my tank, so it hasn't been a burden. And I get the added enjoyment of being able to start adding corals to my main tank - two tanks to enjoy!

55 gal. reef. Coralife lunar lights 4 x 65, 120 lbs live rock. Remora skimmer, 3 power heads. 2 tank raise false percula,2 pajama cardinal,hermits, snails, Xenia, leathers, mushrooms, polyp frags, yellow sea cucumber, And last but not least - the miserable mantis.
Terry
stusclan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ick

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com