Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Closed Thread

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-14-2004, 10:35 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via Yahoo to Fishboy-from-NY
I would wait at least six weeks just to make sure it doesn't come back even stronger on the other fish. ALso do you QT your fish since that is a must if you don't want this to reoccure. Also, let us know your water parameters.

Old 09-14-2004, 01:12 PM   #12
AA Team Emeritus

I agree. Don't buy any new fish. Since there are still three alive in the tank and seemingly doing well, I'd wait at least 2-3 weeks and watch them for further outbreaks. If ick is still in the tank, I think you'll know before 6 weeks.

Back to the QT question? Do you have one? If so, you might have to consider moving the 3 fish to it and leaving the main tank fallow for 6 weeks for the ick to die off with no fish hosts available. I presume from your treatment, there are no inverts or coral in the main. Are there?

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

Old 09-14-2004, 01:45 PM   #13

No I don't, just don't have the room ,maybe this would be a good time to find the room

Old 09-14-2004, 01:50 PM   #14

Speaking of a QT how does that work?, do you keep any fish in there to keep it cycling? do you do water changes like you would your tank fish live stock in it?

Old 09-14-2004, 01:55 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Freak

Wow, I am so sorry to hear about your fish. I hope the velvet clears and your next fish are completely healthy. You might consider talking to the lfs about the puffer you want- offering to make a downpayment and then have them hold him for a few days while you watch his health... the lfs I worked at used to do that if requested. Most probably won't, but you never know until you ask!

Good luck!

My sympathy, Val
Old 09-14-2004, 01:57 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

http://aquariumadvice.com/showquesti...q=2&fldAuto=17

This is a good link about QT. HTH!
Old 09-14-2004, 02:33 PM   #17

Guess what, I took your advice and there willing to do that, check this out ,the puffer is a dog face puffer with a black mask, he is about six to seven inches and he is really cool, they have had him so long that he is trained, everytime I go into the store I look at his and the owner shows me that he puts his hand in the tank and hand feeds him, this puffer reminds me of a cat, likes to rub up on your hand, the guy wanted 150.00 but after talking to me and my saab story he dropped the price to 100.00 which is a good price for that size
He will alow me to pay him 50.00 down and 25.00 next week and the week after ,buy then my tank will be ready And I will own the puffer
I feel much better now, I love puffers, something about them
this place I found is very nice, he has every fish you can think of but not small like the local stores, in fact I was looking at a tang that was bigger then my poodle, not kidding you

Old 09-14-2004, 02:59 PM   #18
AA Team Emeritus

Sounds good, but I'd still be worried about the presence of velvet in the tank if that's what it was. What about the suggestion that you not add fish for 3-6 weeks - or treating the 3 remaining fish? Your LFS gonna hold the new puffer for that long?

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

Old 09-14-2004, 03:04 PM   #19
AA Team Emeritus

One other question that may help determine your fate....

What kind of fish are the three that are left? Don't know if there is such a fish that is velvet resistant (slimy coates vs. scaly), but if those three are, the stuff may be still in your tank and kill newcomers anyway.

Old 09-14-2004, 03:08 PM   #20

a tamato clown which from my understanding they come from the damsel and are tough fish and also a sailfin tang which did not even get affected but then again I give them vitamens and a huma triger which had a slight catch of it on one fin but has went away

Closed Thread

Tags
ick

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com