ick whiped me out

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
What Hoopsguru is sayins, is that although the fish is not on your tank yet, it is still at the lfs mixed with a number of other fish. The chances are good that when you do take it home it will have something. Hoops could have handle the post a little better, but you should never call someone names on this forum.

If you dont qt, then you might as well get him now and put him in your tank. :wink:

Well is that not the chance you take when you buy a fish from any place?
Also this is a very big puffer, its in a tank buy it self ,I don't think that matters because all the tanks I believe run threw the same main filter
I understand what your saying about a Qt tank but not everyone has that available to them or the room to have it
this is the first time I had to buy fish in a while, I'm not the guy that buys fish every time I see one ,my tank was up and running for some time, my fish had tripled there size and then yes I had a mishap which everyone knows can happen to each and everyone as no one is perfect and it happens to the best of us
Also there is allot of mixed thoughts about a qt tank ,for one reason I feel once a fish is sick your tank is already infected so taking the fish out of the tank can cause additional stress to the fish as far as I'm concerned and allot of experts agree with that, now i'm no expert but if the tank is already infested whats the sense of taking the fish out ,you still have to treat your tank and other fish
My problem is this, I ask allot because I feel you can never know everything so coming on here to me is a way to share and learn all the tricks
however does not mean I have to agree with everything everyone says
not that i'm saying I do or don't, I simply take what I find out here and what I find out from some of the places I deal with and after researching I decide which way I believe is best for me, I would be an idiot if I just did what someone said I should do with out researching it,I mean lets be honest here ,I don't know you you don't know me and goru can be a baker for all I know so yes I take info, research and make my choice but it seems allot of people on here seem to jump to conclusions and get nasty, almost like a baby having a temper tantrum

EXVISOR19641964 said:
Also there is allot of mixed thoughts about a qt tank ,for one reason I feel once a fish is sick your tank is already infected so taking the fish out of the tank can cause additional stress to the fish as far as I'm concerned and allot of experts agree with that, now i'm no expert but if the tank is already infested whats the sense of taking the fish out ,you still have to treat your tank and other fish
Actually no one that has studied parasitic problems in any depth would agree on not properly quarantining new animals. If done properly, parasitic infestations would never be given the chance to enter the main system in the first place. The commonly held belief that all fish harbor parasites no matter what you do and are brought about months or years later is a complete myth. If all new arrivals are QT'd, there would be no reason to remove any fish for treatment due to no parasite being able to enter the display. The main exception being when purchasing inverts from tanks containing fish which I have always warned agaist.

To say that a QT is more stressful and adds to the problem is also not correct. True the transfer of an unhealthy fish is never going to improve the situation immediately but when a fish can be isolated to recoup unhindered by a group of fish is far better than leaving with the main pack. That would usually be in the case of nonparasitic problems though as treating any fish with a parasite problem should include all fish connected with that system. Treating one fish prior to placing it in it's permanent tank is far better than needing to treat a display system that could have long lasting reprocussions.

Cheers
Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom