Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-01-2009, 01:45 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Unhappy

I lost my lemonpeel this morning. I did a 50% water change afterwards to hopefully help my other two left. They are still eating but the spots are getting more frequent on the hippo tang. I hope they last.

Old 07-01-2009, 03:24 PM   #12
Thanx but no.....

It might be time to try a FW dip for each of them, then back in the QT. It may buy you some time until you refract gets in.

Old 07-02-2009, 01:09 AM   #13

I FW dipped them. How often can I do this? I have to do all I can for a week to 10 days until my refracto gets here. I also read that Hyposalinity doesn't work on advanced stages of ICH. Is that true? Thanks.
Old 07-02-2009, 02:18 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Hypo will kill the parasite... period. Whether or not the fish is strong enough to survive is probably the real question. So I can see if someone puts a fish into hypo that has endured several cycles of ich, each one worse than the previous, someone could say that hypo "didn't work" because the fish died. But in reality, the hypo is killing off the parasite - just not quick enough for that particular fish.

I know nothing about FW dips... you might PM Innovator - think he's familiar with them. Many here see them as more stressful on the fish than whatever it is you're trying to fix.
Old 07-02-2009, 09:47 AM   #15
Thanx but no.....

When I've done it (and it's totally atypical and suggested only as a last resort since it seems your running short on options until the refract gets there). 4-5 minutes depending on how the fish is holding up. Then back in the QT. Stick an airstone in there, match the ph and temp. Dechlor if it's tap.

IMO: 1 time only
Old 07-02-2009, 10:19 AM   #16
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

I dont like to FW dip any. The only 2 times I`ve done it the fish soon died. To me it stresses out an already stressed fish to the point of no return. I have never seen a FW dip work effectively. JMO

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 10:37 AM   #17
Thanx but no.....

I don't disagree. I have also never seen leaving them in a quasi-hypo solution for 10 days untreated (as one dies and one by all indications is getting much worse) work either. The refrac isn't due in till the 10th, going from 012 to 'normal' to use copper does not seem all that healthy either.

To me the options seemed to be; do nothing or something as it appeared the condition was worsening.

someone could say that FW dip "didn't work" because the fish died. Perhaps in reality, the FW dip is killing off the parasite - just not quick enough for that particular fish.
Old 07-02-2009, 02:20 PM   #18

Thanks for all your input. They are both still eating today. I will leave it as is and hope for the best.

Tags
ick, spot, white spot

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com