Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-29-2009, 12:23 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Ick/White spot

I recently got a flame angel, hippo tang and lemon peel angel. They all came down with ick/white spot and I quarantined them. I tried the low salinity method WITHOUT a refractometer, but with a basic hydrometer. Over the course of 2 days I dropped the salinity to about 1.012. After 2 more days they looked better but then after 2 more days, I noticed a few new spots and they are getting worse again. Should I raise the Salinity again to normal and do copper treatment or continue low salinity treatment and see how it goes? Thanks for your comments in advance.

Old 06-29-2009, 01:19 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Leave the salinity where it is, and buy a refractometer. Then follow these directions:

ATJ's Marine Aquarium Site - Reference - Hyposalinity Treatment

1.009 is the magic number - no more, no less. For that reason, it's crucial you use a calibrated refractometer.

Old 06-29-2009, 07:58 AM   #3
Thanx but no.....

Did they come down with ich while in your main tank and then you threw them in the QT? If so, your main tank is infected also. If there are other fish in there they should be removed to QT as well and the main left fallow.
Old 06-29-2009, 04:01 PM   #4

HELP!! None of my LFS has a refractometer! Now my dilemma is I have my fish in a 1.012 salinity level and have no choice but to use copper treatment. But what level of copper would be ok? I have read that low salinity effects the strength of medications. PLEASE HELP!!
Old 06-29-2009, 04:08 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Your LFS won't even offer to bring one in for you? So much for local service!

Try drsfostersmith.com, marinedepot.com, premiumaquatics.com, ... shoot, just about any online place will have them.

Do NOT use copper at low salinity. Either do one or the other, but not both. My vote would be to leave the fish at the existing salinity until you get a refractometer, then continue with the hyposalinity treatment. Otherwise, SLOWLY increase the salinity over many days as noted in that link I gave you, until you're back at your normal tank salinity. Then do the copper treatment. But even to slowly raise the salinity by 1 or 2 points a day is going to be tough without a refractometer.
Old 06-29-2009, 05:41 PM   #6
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

Moved to the sick fish forum.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 01:28 PM   #7

I ordered a refractometer online but it will take 10 days to get here at least. What do you suggest I do to make my fish hang on as long as possible? Thanks.
Old 06-30-2009, 04:43 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Hmmm... too bad you didn't go for express delivery or something to get it to you sooner. 10 days? Well... I guess the best thing you can do is keep the guy at the same salinity until it arrives. Are they still eating and acting normal?
Old 06-30-2009, 08:08 PM   #9

They are all eating but the hippo tang is scratching himself against the rock quite often.
Old 07-01-2009, 02:12 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Without a refractometer, I'd say the safest thing would be to just keep everything the way it is until you receive it. I'm curious if anyone else here has any thoughts. If this was my tank, that's what I'd be doing.

Also... just an FYI - if you go the copper route, you'll want to pull that rock out of your QT that the tang is flashing against. Any calcium based things (sand, live rock, etc) will mess with your copper concentrations and make it tough to keep a stable amount of copper in suspension. Or so I've heard...

Tags
ick, spot, white spot

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com