Originally Posted by TreeHuggnHipie
I have a tank with a porcupine puffer, yellow tang, hippo tang, orange dashed goby and a blue yellow tailed damsel. I've got liverock and a few mushroom corals growing. My hippo tang got ich (big suprise) and now puffer and yellow tang have become infested with it too. I just did a 20% water change and I'm getting a U/V sterilizer ASAP to help. I'm wondering what I should treat it with. It's infested my main tank so I'm pretty sure it's there to stay. Can I use copper without killing my rock and mushroom corals? Is there something else I should be trying? I'm kind of at a loss for what to do.
The link Mel gave you are good of course. Copper will kill the mushrooms, snails and any other inverts. And then you will never be able to have a true reef tank. Do hyposalinity in a QT and keep your main tank fishless for 6-weeks. And after that pain in the butt is done start to QT all new fish.... I had to learn the hard way too.
Oh and the UV
is not going to do much, the ich is on the fish and mostly in the substrate, not going through your UV
. Save your money from buying a UV
and get the QT and read.