ID Disease!! White bumps on Puffer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Take the advice from Innovator. From the photos it does not look like Ich, but I have no idea what it is. Good that you removed the aggresor, now do a couple of 20% water changes a couple of days apart if you don't QT the fish, or while you are gathering materials to set up a QT tank.

Thanks, James! I didn't have a clue and that explains a lot.

This should help in visualizing my explanations. I forgot I had this pic available, but here is a shot of my black dogface still retaining some of the night camouflage after indirect lighting had been on. Normally most of the body would be covered in these "goose bumps," "dimples," "pinnules," or whatever you wish to call them.

img_888745_0_24f5c9dee4955f8ff1862ef6f535fa36.jpg

If that's what it is that's an amazing assessment. If it's not it's still invaluable information. I now question several previous treatments. Are there particular species that exhibit this?

All Arothron species exhibit this in one form or another. I personally believe it is a stress reaction when either the animal is threatened, startled, or in a night phase. By night phase, understand that these times can be extremely stressful to fish in the wild so naturally their systems will still continue to develop specific defensive patterns even in home aquariums.

This should help in visualizing my explanations. I forgot I had this pic available, but here is a shot of my black dogface still retaining some of the night camouflage after indirect lighting had been on. Normally most of the body would be covered in these "goose bumps," "dimples," "pinnules," or whatever you wish to call them.

wow that looks just like what he has!!!!, and I believe your right, that its a stress issue because I few days after the Trigger got a new home, stopped treatments and I only see about 1 cluster of 5-6 bumps and he stopped scratching and color has come in, im not going to get to excited, going to wait awhile before I get to much, but after seeing this picture, it explains alot! THANK YOU THANK YOU

Wow... great photo and writeup Innovator! There's soooo much stuff to learn in this hobby! I'd never read anything about that before.

Update: I have stopped all treatments, did water changes, all water test fine. Puffer still every other day or so shows these white bumps, they come and go, again no other fish infected. Im concluded this must have stress related, by this time if it was ich the tank, other fish or puffer would be showing signs.

Back
Top Bottom