Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 11-25-2005, 01:39 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist
Idea for minimizing parasites when introducing new inverts

Hi all,

I have not yet added many inverts to my main tank. I can't seem to get a good handle on how people try to minimize introducing parasites from the inverts (mainly snails and crabs). I have been very disciplined at QTing any new fish and this has proven to be very benfeficial. I am not sure how much my UV has to do with this.

Since putting snails or crabs in QT is not going to happen I had an idea. What if I put the snails or crabs in some sort of container (to keep them from going through the pump) in my sump and only ran the pump that runs through the UV. There are 2 returns from my sump, one goes straight back into the tank and the other goes through the UV.
I am thinking if there are any parasite on the inverts they will have to go through the UV to get back into the main.

Is this overkill or stupid thinking?

Pete R.

450g Acrylic FOWLR
380 lbs. of Live Rock
1 Yellow Tang, 1 Mono, 1 Blue Angel, 1 Foxface Lo, 1 Lunare Wrasse, 1 Snowflake Eel

1x Dolphin AS2100
1x Dolphin AM4700
72" Aqualight Pro: 4x96 Actinic, 3x150 HQI Halides, 4x1 moonlights
AquaC EV-1000 Protein Skimmer run by Dolphin AS2100
AquaUV 114 watt UV Sterilizer
2x Jager 250w
...Work in progess.....
peterac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2005, 03:13 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic
Send a message via AIM to DragonForce
You don't need to QT inverts.

37 gal all glass
50lb LR
3' fine sand bed 1x Orange Stripe Prawn shrimp goby, 1x sixline wrassemated pair of true percula clowns, 1x CBS shrimp, 2x peppermint shrimp, 1x pistol shrimp, 1x tiger tale cuke, ~20+ snails, ~10+ hermits, 1xserpent star.
green Bubble coral, hammer coral (8 heads!) ,various Zoos,green finger leather, green star polpys ,shrooms
175w 10k MH
28w actinic 03
2x maxi jett 1200
Prizm skimmer (modded)
Hagen powerfilter(for running carbon 24/7)
nano arctica chiller
DragonForce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2005, 09:40 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak
I am not too familiar with parasites on snails and crabs. I just acclimate them and dump them in.
demodiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2005, 10:16 AM   #4
Sound idea but the wrong "holding tank" if you will. The draw back here is the speed of the water flow. In order for the UV to properly eliminate any possible pathogen/parasite from making it's way into the main, the flow must be on the slow side which would eliminate the sump as a potential QT. The sump also being an intricate part of the display tanks systems and not easily disconnected, it should not be used in such a fashion given "Murphy's Law".

This would still have a potential risk but I would instead suggest constructing a refugium for this purpose. The flow can then be optimally regulated in favor of parasite control through the UV and allow the UV to be the sole source of water return to the main tank or sump. Be absolutely sure you set it up correctly; proper flow, the housing is cleaned religiously and the bulb replaced every 6 months at the minimum. Hard surfaced inverts are indeed a source of parasite introduction and you are wise to QT them and anything/everything else before adding to the display....

Old 11-25-2005, 02:49 PM   #5
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award
I sure did not know that Steve. Thanks for the info
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote

inverts, parasites

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com