Idea for minimizing parasites when introducing new inverts

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

peterac

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi all,

I have not yet added many inverts to my main tank. I can't seem to get a good handle on how people try to minimize introducing parasites from the inverts (mainly snails and crabs). I have been very disciplined at QTing any new fish and this has proven to be very benfeficial. I am not sure how much my UV has to do with this.

Since putting snails or crabs in QT is not going to happen I had an idea. What if I put the snails or crabs in some sort of container (to keep them from going through the pump) in my sump and only ran the pump that runs through the UV. There are 2 returns from my sump, one goes straight back into the tank and the other goes through the UV.
I am thinking if there are any parasite on the inverts they will have to go through the UV to get back into the main.

Is this overkill or stupid thinking?

Thanks,
Pete R.

Sound idea but the wrong "holding tank" if you will. The draw back here is the speed of the water flow. In order for the UV to properly eliminate any possible pathogen/parasite from making it's way into the main, the flow must be on the slow side which would eliminate the sump as a potential QT. The sump also being an intricate part of the display tanks systems and not easily disconnected, it should not be used in such a fashion given "Murphy's Law".

This would still have a potential risk but I would instead suggest constructing a refugium for this purpose. The flow can then be optimally regulated in favor of parasite control through the UV and allow the UV to be the sole source of water return to the main tank or sump. Be absolutely sure you set it up correctly; proper flow, the housing is cleaned religiously and the bulb replaced every 6 months at the minimum. Hard surfaced inverts are indeed a source of parasite introduction and you are wise to QT them and anything/everything else before adding to the display....

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom