Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-20-2006, 01:19 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via AIM to Angel.Zero Send a message via Yahoo to Angel.Zero
Illness or stress? (with pics)

I just started my tank yesterday. I am just curious if this is illness or just stress from cycling. He has white poop, and just sits in the corner of the tank. I have not observed him eating yet. he is in a 10 gallon with 2.3 lbs of live rock (cured). Water tests are all ok (like I said just started yesterday) He has been doing this since he went into the tank. Any ideas??

Old 02-20-2006, 11:36 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist

Since you say, "I started yesterday", I take that to mean you didn't cycle the tank first before putting the fish in. How did you acclimate the fish? Is he gilling fast and heavy? Is he moving his fins much?

Just need some more information on how exactly the fish is acting.

Inverts - (2) Peppermint Shrimp, Scarlet Cleaner Shrimp, (5) Turbo Snails, (4) Nassarius Snails, (10) Blue Leg Hermits, Emerald Crab, (3) Scarlett Crabs, some small starfish(hitchhikers)

My Aquarium Photos
localhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2006, 12:42 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

he was moving his mouth alot and not moving his fins much... but now he seems fine... he is swimming about the tank and eating now. I dunno, I am confused. As far as acclimation goes I got cured live rock from the same tank he was in and added them both to the new setup.
Old 02-21-2006, 12:14 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

You need to read up on acclimation and what a cylce is.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/articl...q=2&fldAuto=18
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/articl...q=2&fldAuto=15

You need to test the water for ammonia, nitrites and nitrates. If the ammonia starts to rise then you need to either take the fish back and have the LFS hold it, or do small water changes to keep the levels low enough so the fish won't be stressed and possibly die.
You can not rush things in this hobby...

When doing a water change mix the new water in a clean bucket and mix for at least 24 hours before using it in the tank with fish. You also need to bring it up to the same temp as your tank, adding cold water will stress the fish.

TANK PICS http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=98202
seaham358 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2006, 03:21 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

More than likely he was in shock due to numerous issues that could have happened when he was put in the tank. Drastic change in temp, ph, salinity, etc. Luckily they are hardy fish and can take the abuse (not that they should or that you meant to). Go ahead and get some more 'Cured' live rock if you can. If your not sure if it is cured, just put it in a small rubbermaid tube with am airstone or PH to circulate the water and cure it. For a 10, it is recommended to have 10-15 lbs of rock.

What type of sand are you using?

Most important now is to test the water daily (if not twice), and do a small water change each time to try to prevent a bad ammonia spike.

Also, I would only feed a little every 3 days for the time being to help keep the ammonia at bay. Once you've cycled, increase to every other day.

Check your salinity everyday at least and top it off if it starts to rise with RODI water. The fish is going to go through a little more stress more than likely, just try to limit it as much as possible.
Inverts - (2) Peppermint Shrimp, Scarlet Cleaner Shrimp, (5) Turbo Snails, (4) Nassarius Snails, (10) Blue Leg Hermits, Emerald Crab, (3) Scarlett Crabs, some small starfish(hitchhikers)

My Aquarium Photos
localhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2006, 04:46 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

as far as acclimation I floated him for 20 min. I was unaware of the differance in salinity (I am now more aware of acclimation) I check my tanks 2-3 times a day and top-off or pwc as needed.I now have 3.5 pnds of live rock. I will keep adding more until I have 12-14 pnds of it. thank you everyone for the help
Old 02-21-2006, 08:57 PM   #7
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

Did you not cycle this tank? You need to read up and understand what you are doing. If you have not cycled then you are putting your fish through horrendous situation. This is not fresh water.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 09:01 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Melosu58,
Maybe it is just me but your message sound rather rude. Angelzero needs help and your attitude will turn them away from a good source of information. You need to remember that not everyone has been doing this as long as you and could benefit from your knowledge.
Old 02-22-2006, 02:59 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Activist

mak: thanks for the defence : )

Melosu: I did not previously know about the "fishless" cycle methods that you guys use so the clown is cycling the tank but the live rock should help since it comes from an established tank at my lfs.

The clown is doing very well now, I think it was the stress from the lack of proper acclimation so any newbies readying this... Properly acclimate your fish
Old 02-22-2006, 06:54 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

have you checked any levels?? ammonia, nitrate,nitrite? This way you know if you need to do a water change to keep the levels low so the fish may live.

TANK PICS http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=98202
seaham358 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
illness, pics, stress

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com