I'm about to buy a Carpet Anemone - Should I ???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SpeckledGrouper

Aquarium Advice Regular
It's a green Carpet Anemone, 11" the seller has had it for a year and says it's healthy, that's all I know. I've been wanting one, but I understand they are poisonous. I have a 180 g with 3 x 175 MH, should I go for it? I got about an hour to decide.....

It's totally up to you. If it where me I wouldn't, simply b/c you already have 2 anemones. Use that 11" for sps, clams, zoos- you see what I'm getting at LOL. Carpets do pack quit a potent sting from what I've heard. Good luck.

I am not sure I would. I believe carpets require a bit more light then you currently have. 6-8 watts/gal would be enough. Looks like you have just over three. I would skip it.

Hmmm, too late, I got it for 20 bucks. The guy is nearby, so I will pick up, no shipping stress. We'll see......
MT79, I don't have any other anemones right now, the clown literally loved the sebae to "near death", it went into hiding under a rock for 2 month and when it came out I moved it to my 55g to nurse it back to health.

That anemone is an eating machine my buddy had his eat his horse shoe crab, snails, hermits. And it ate several of his fish a small Naso being one of them. Good luck.....

Yeah I've heard of these things taking over the tank.. I don't think you have enough light for it either so that might make it more prone to eat stuff.

Good luck anyway!

Just watch for signs of starvation. They do require most of their nutrients come from light. If it is starting to bleech, loose color, not extend or just look sick, get it out of your tank. A dead or dying anenome can be toxic enough to distroy your entire tank. Good Luck...Lando

Back
Top Bottom