Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-15-2005, 01:37 PM   #51
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve-s
darned if you do and darned if you don't
Oh now that's just my luck!! I'll get water up to temp and pH when I get home and if he's not looking any better I'll plop him into the dip. If he happens, by some miracle, to look tremendously better I'll take a video of him first to see what you think.

This poor fish. If he survives I think we'll have to come up with a new clever name for him and his survival skills.

Join the NJ Reef Club Today! Saving the world's reefs one living room at a time!
MACNA XXI Atlantic City, NJ September 25-27, 2009
Phyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2005, 06:46 PM   #52
Aquarium Advice Addict

>> New Movie <<

Just wanted to check with you before I dipped him. What do you think? To dip or not to dip... what would you do?

Thanks!

Join the NJ Reef Club Today! Saving the world's reefs one living room at a time!
Old 03-16-2005, 01:06 AM   #53
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to quarryshark
I assume that you already did. How did it go?
Old 03-16-2005, 09:12 AM   #54
Aquarium Advice Addict

Nope. I didn't. I was hoping to get a Yea or Nah from you guys and to me he was looking a little better than the night before. Today he doesn't have any pronounced bright white spots (I don't know if that's good or bad, but it looks better), just the faded ones. I can't tell if he's gilling fast or not. Do you have a pace on how fast he should be breathing? His breathing isn't as prounounced as it was yesterday. I wish I had a healthy baby tang to compare it to. Should it be the same as my yellow? He's a much bigger fish though (3-4").

Today the gramma has what looks like a cut across his top, just in front of his fin. I can't even imagine what could have happened to him. He's already getting garlic and selcon.

Old 03-16-2005, 11:25 AM   #55
steve-s

Judging by the second video, the gilling is not as bad and the spots are visibley reduced. I think you can pass on the dip... 8)

Watch the gramma for signs of secondary infection. A torn/worn fin is no biggie but it can develope into something worse. Water changes and the Selcon should help with that.

Cheers
Steve
Old 03-16-2005, 11:35 AM   #56
Aquarium Advice Addict

It isn't a torn fin. It is a ... gash... across his upper "back" just in front of that fin on the top. The gash looks a little "fleshy". I'm not sure how I'd get a picture of him. He hides in his hole more often than not. He was out swimming this morning when the food went in and ate well (then back to his hole).

Don't let my use of technical terms intimidate you !

As for the Tang, I can barely see his gills move now (which makes it really hard to see how fast he's breathing).

In an effort to reduct the stress on the fish (the Tang in particular), I've added 2 more pieces of dry base rock to form a cave in the QT. The tang loves it. Hopefully the reduced stress will help his healing.

I can't thank you guys enough for being here with me step by step through this.

pH this morning was 8.1, salinity holding steady at 1.009

Old 03-16-2005, 11:45 AM   #57
steve-s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phyl
It isn't a torn fin. It is a ... gash... across his upper "back" just in front of that fin on the top. The gash looks a little "fleshy". I'm not sure how I'd get a picture of him. He hides in his hole more often than not. He was out swimming this morning when the food went in and ate well (then back to his hole).
Watch for the onset of fungal infections and/or redness surrounding the wound. If you can maintain the water quality, the "gash" will begin to shrink and heal on it's own. As long as bacteria does not get a foothold, it should be fine.

Cheers
Steve
Old 03-17-2005, 11:04 AM   #58
Aquarium Advice Addict

Today's update is that I can just about count the spots (including the faded ones) on the tang! Looks like between 5 & 10 spots remaining. This fish is all tang. Man can he poop! He's eating like a pig. Cleans the nori off the clip and eats whatever else I put into the tank. It looks like we're on our way. What is the next thing that I have to watch for/worry about?

The gramma came out to eat last night, but just a little bit. A much fussier eater (what's their favorite food?). A bite or two was all she took. The gash on her head doesn't look any better/worse today and as far as I can tell she isn't showing any signs of ich anymore (though it is hard to really assess this since she hides so much).

Old 03-17-2005, 11:26 AM   #59
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to quarryshark
Quote:
What is the next thing that I have to watch for/worry about?
Spots should fade away completely. Other than that just keep water parameters in check.
Great job!!!
Old 03-17-2005, 11:45 AM   #60
Aquarium Advice Addict

The water parameters have been the easiest part! With the base rock in there to carry the cycle the tank has been self sufficient as far as the nitrification process is concerned. The Refractometer and pH meter have been invaluable as well. Sure wish I could find one of those for the nitrification process that didn't cost 1500$!

The worrying has really been the hardest part!

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com