I'm Afraid...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Alk was pretty low. I'm somehow remembering it at 3dkh but it was 6am and I'm not sure that it was quite that low. I added a little b-Ionic Alk to it this morning. I'll take another measure tonight. I'll have to take the pH with a test kit to double check my pH meter. Seems to me that the pH would be lower than 8 if the alk was that low but the pH in my main seemed within reason last time I checked it with the pH meter (around 8.3).

The pH wouldn't necessarily be lower but a low alk would allow for heavy fluctuations. Start dosing the buffer daily in the AM until it gets back up/close to 3 mEq/l. Make sure you do small daily doses though, no dramatic shifts upward.

Cheers
Steve

And so it begins... The return to normal SG!

My fish has been spotless for the last 4 weeks and 2 days. This morning I did my first water change (2.5-3g in 15) and brought my salinity up from 1.010 to 1.0115 :mrgreen:

Is there anything that I need to watch for while I'm bringing the SG back up? How many points a day is it ok to bring it back up? How many g would you change out per change? per day? Should I use water from the main so that by the end of the week the water is all water that came out of the main? I'd like to reduce the need for an acclimation process for the fish as much as possible because that whole event seems terribly stressful (on me if not the fish, lol). I've upped the dosing of garlic and selcon to each feeding now during this last week to give him a fighting chance going into the main.

TIA!

5 days in to raising the salinity. Today is 1.022 and tomorrow should get me at about 1.024. He still looks great. My current plan is to move him into the main on Sunday morning.

I'm planning on turning his lights on around 5am so that he's alert by 6. At 6am, while my other fish are (hopefully) still sleeping, I'm going to release him into my main. I'll have Nori on the clip and food at the ready just in case I need to use distraction in his defense. I'll also have a plastic container just in case I need to give my yellow tang a time out.

Any other thoughts? I'm a little nervous about the release... I've ben through so much already with this fish I don't want it to go wrong here!

I would actually suggest you allow the tang to stay in the QT another week. Once the salinity has been up to the main tanks level for a full 7-10 days, it will ensure your treatment was 100% successful. It's more than likely it was but this last step ensures you won't introduce a problem to the main.

As far as the introduction, adding the tang to a dark tank can be disorienting so be wary of possible injury from corals or equipment. If the fighting gets beyond simple tail slapping, turn the lights off for the day. If the next day it has not subsided, adjust the rock work a bit.

Cheers
Steve

Man, you sure do know how to burst a girl's bubble! Have you ever just gotten your head wrapped around an idea before just to have someone say... uh... wait! LOL! We've got fish due in on Tuesday (LOL, not much grass grows here), but we also have that 30g tank & stand that are currently looking for a purpose. I was going to put the new fish in there anyway to give myself a little more room for errrrr with parms (15 g is just way too tight).

The house has good ambiant light by 6:00 so it won't really be dark, but it will be about 6 hours before the lights come on so the fish in there will be less likely to be in attack/feed mode! We'll hold the transfer off until next weekend though. We've come this far. No point in short changing him now. *sigh* I'm so disappointed. I think I'll go sulk!

The week has gone by surprisingly fast. Saturday will be 7 full days and give me the whole weekend to tank sit so I'm opting for Saturday morning for the tansfer. Again I'm going to wake the fish up early and transfer him once there's sufficient ambiant light in the main for him to make his way around. I'm so excited :)

Thank you so much for all of your help though this. I'm just sure the fish wouldn't still be alive if I were banking on the advice of my LFS. So not only do I thank you... but my fishie thanks you too!

Who do I send my dues money to for the fan club? :mrgreen:

The transfer to the main went well. As planned I did it early in the morning giving the PT ample time to acclimate to the tank prior to "wake up" hour for our tank. There was some posturing around mid-day but overall it went pretty well and now they seem to be best friends. They're swimming and eating together with no visible agression. They both have had their top fins up quite a bit today but other than that it's been pretty quiet in the tank.

I've made an extra donation to the site in the name of "The Steve-S & QuarryShark Fan Club". Thanks again, guys!

Back
Top Bottom