Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-08-2005, 10:18 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

I'm Afraid...

very very afraid...

Well, Whatcha think? Is this the dreaded ich?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	p3082156.jpg
Views:	239
Size:	237.2 KB
ID:	1338  

Join the NJ Reef Club Today! Saving the world's reefs one living room at a time!
MACNA XXI Atlantic City, NJ September 25-27, 2009
Phyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2005, 10:53 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

looks like it to me. It's appears as small white "salt" spots on the fish. at least you have him in QT.

Old 03-08-2005, 11:03 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to quarryshark
Yes, it looks like it. What is your game plan?
Don't worry, ich does not kill overnight, but treatment is needed.
Old 03-08-2005, 11:33 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Spots appeared this morning. I've got pH and Refractometers on order though I'm not sure when they'll get here. I'd like to go hypo. I'm already dosing with garlic in their food (figure it can't hurt).

When I'm treating using hypo what's the best way to keep pH in the right range?

I have Seachem Reef Buffer (raises pH to 8.3), Reef Builder (Raises Carbonates), and b-Ionic here already, but will purchase whatever you think I need to in order to keep things stable.

Current water parameters:

pH: 8.2 (FasTest)
Ammonia: 0 (FasTest)
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
Temperature: 78
SG: 1.022 (hydrometer)

Join the NJ Reef Club Today! Saving the world's reefs one living room at a time!
Old 03-09-2005, 12:24 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Can I start taking the salinity down with the hydrometer or won't that help any? How long do I have before my fish is in danger? Should I raise or lower my temperature? I do have a couple of "disposable" rocks in my tank that are there to help with the cycle.

Old 03-09-2005, 01:50 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Are the fish is in qt? If so, no worries you can beat it.
If they are in qt, you can reduce the SG pretty quickly. I would change out 1/5the of the water volume in the qt every 12 hours with fresh RO water. Fish can take a fast drop in SG, but cannot take a fast raise in SG
The hydrometer will be OK to start, but to do an accurate treatment, a good refractometer is needed.
The PH will do some funky stuff, especially while you are adjusting the SG down. The buffers you mentioned above will do a fine job in keeping the PH stable during the transition. Your best bet is to buffer the change water before you use it. Also test daily for ammonia, it will spike until your biological catches up with the treatment.
Please do not attempt this treatment within the main. A proper qt setup the most important component of the treatment.
Old 03-09-2005, 02:13 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

He's still in QT (new fish) so we're good to go there. Glad to hear that it's beatable. I just knew this fish was going to have ich. I thought I saw it on a tankmate when I picked him out (but was, of course, reassured that wasn't what I was seeing). He really seems stressed in qt, so I'm sure that isn't helping any (in spite of good water parameters). He looks a bit faded too. I guess the good news is that if he survives this he'll likely survive almost anything!

Thanks. I'm sure you haven't seen the last of me, lol.

Old 03-09-2005, 11:49 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Our SG had gotten up to 1.026 in the (20g) QT, I'm guessing because of the evaporation? I don't have that sort of instability in my main so I just wasn't expecting such dramatic swings in the SG. Just dropping it back to 1.022 has provided amazing relief to the tang. He was looking really stressed yesterday (faded in addition to the spots) but this morning had beautiful vibrant color and ate like a champ. I would swear he has fewer spots on him this morning as well. We'll drop the SG again when we get home.

No problem keeping my rock in the tank, right? It is "disposable" as in I am not using it in the main and can just boil it after this process is over. The rock has been there since before these fish so it is carrying a good part of cycle.

Old 03-09-2005, 11:57 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

You could, but any die off from the lowered SG can raise the ammonia level if its LR. Some PVC elbows would be better, you call.
Of course if you treat with meds, it would the definately need to be removed.
Old 03-09-2005, 12:10 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

There are 3 small pieces of rock and a few elbows as well. I'll leave the rock in there for now (the gramma is calling it home right now and seems happy that way) and keep a close watch on the ammo as the SG drops. Hopefully this won't get to meds! But if it does I'll know that I need to remove it.

I have a few refugees in my QT that have accumulated waiting for a fuge. Two snails, two bristle worms and one red crab. I don't have another running environment to put them in. I don't know what to do with them. How long could they float in bags in the QT? I'm not sure what else to do so that they'd survive and I'm going to feel like holy crud if I have to put them down!

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com