Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-18-2014, 11:45 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

I'm at my wits end...

Really need advice.
I have posted before about my 30 gallon tall bow front tank. its 4 months now and i am running out of patients and money.
I cannot keep corals, shrimp, crabs, snails an numerous fish. They die in my tank, and fast, not more than a day. Only fish i amble to keep alive are 2 clowns and one yellow dart fish. They are alive but seem listless, swimming near tank bottom.
It was suggested before to add more lighting for the corals. I did, i now have 2 sets of T5HO. first soft coral went into the tank and never opened again.
Inadequate water flow. So went to larger pump and a second supply line. Lots of flow. Invertebrates all dead within a day. coral dead too. Yesterday one coral beauty and one wrasse dead within 6 hours. OK, low oxygenated water possibly?
I added a third power-head to the tank to move around the surface water. No change.
Water perimeters are within line. ammonia showing 0 but i am getting skeptical. no nitrite, no nitrate. PH level around 8.2. KH at 12 dKH. Calcium at 500mg/L. Salinity 1.025. tmp. 78.F
i have a sump of 20 gallons with rubble rock and started my tank with live rock.
Something drastic is happening. everything dies fast except my clowns and dart fish.
i am attaching pics for reference purposes. My most recent dead fish can be seen behind spongebobs house. dies last night.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tank1.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	186.1 KB
ID:	240722   Click image for larger version

Name:	tank2.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	191.6 KB
ID:	240723  

Click image for larger version

Name:	tank3.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	205.7 KB
ID:	240724  

Old 06-18-2014, 02:56 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

can you get a different test kit and test the water parameters again? or take the water sample to a lfs and have them test it. i don't trust your readings for some reason.

Old 06-18-2014, 03:09 PM   #3

Yes I will do that. It really sounds like ammonia posioning. I have taken a sample before and it read 0 at the store. I will have it retested. And let you know.
Old 06-18-2014, 09:59 PM   #4

still need an answer. i bought ammonia test strips and they too register 00. ammonia.
it must be something else. did i mention that before the fish died they were gasping for air, but not at the top.
Old 06-18-2014, 10:06 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

How are you acclimating? And have you checked for stray voltage?
Old 06-18-2014, 10:27 PM   #6

I use the drip method over about 45 minutes. i don't know how to check for voltage and wouldn't that kill the fish that are alive?
Old 06-19-2014, 12:16 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Regular

My first reaction is possibly you are getting some chemical leakage from the artificial decorations
Old 06-19-2014, 12:36 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

What kind of water do you use? Have you tested the Tds before you do water changes? Must be something in the water to kill fish, inverts and corals.
Old 06-19-2014, 10:23 AM   #9

i believe you are right, something in the water. the water comes from my 3 stage filter system but i haven't checked it for problems. i will do that today.
i doubt its the ornaments as this problem was around well before i put any in. can't really blame spongebob then.
thanks for the help. i will gert back to you later with fresh water results.
Old 06-20-2014, 01:24 PM   #10
Macro Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

gasping for air sounds like ammonia poisoning to me

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com