I'm currently fighting this fast-growing, green, vine-looking stuff

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fiddlerthecrab

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So I'm currently fighting this fast-growing, green, vine-looking stuff (I think it's called Caulerpa Algae) in my 75 gallon tank (My main tank). It's been a constant battle trying to manually pick it off the rocks everyday. Having no success whatsoever, I've come to the conclusion that I should just take the 3 rocks that it's attached to out of the tank, and salvage whatever Green Star Polyps I can off one of the rocks and transfer it to a new rock in the tank. Then just let everything else on the rocks die off (this includes my feather duster unfortunately). I literally can't find any other way of keeping this stuff from coming back and spreading like wildfire. Even if I pick off all I can visibly see (which is nearly impossible) some of it still exists within the nooks and crannies in the rocks, which grows right back within days. I hear it's great for sumps and stuff like that b/c it heeps Nitrates low, but heaven help you if you EVER find it in your main tank.

Does anyone have suggestions reguarding the removal of my Green Star Polyps?
Such as:
1. I'm I going about this in the correct way? If not do you have any suggestions?
2. Will the Green Star Polyps release any toxins in my tank if I attempt to clip a portion of them off the rock?
2. If I end up clipping the Polyps, can I glue them to a different rock? Or should I just place the cutting on a different rock?

Thanks in advance for any help and suggestions!
Happy Reefing!:cool:

Attachments

• Caulerpa Algae.jpg
    Caulerpa Algae.jpg
    159 KB · Views: 349
I dont think they release toxins... just place cutting on different rock, they will reattach. Some of my green star polyps started peeling off the rock they were on and i placed them on a different rock and they're doing great! Not sure what to do with that algae... maybe check lfs and see if there's anything that eats that stuff? Maybe something to add to cuc?

You are in trouble. That stuff is NASTY! Nothing eats it. I would replace those rocks with new ones and dry those out for future use. Meanwhile, you can glue GSP if you want. It peels off like a mat.

Yes, unfortunately I've already taken out 6 large rocks that it was attached to... I'll slowly add the rock to my 29 gallon tank once i think all of it's dead and then add the rocks back to my 75 gallon. I've had my tank up and going for a year now and never seen this stuff. One day it just appeared. I didn't swap any coral, buy any thing new, or add anything new to the tank for months before it appeared, so I know I didn't just recently bring it in from an outside source. it sucks to say the least lol

Back
Top Bottom