Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-25-2005, 06:56 PM   #1
Rudy_627

Im getting an aquarium

Hey i'm thinking about getting some saltwater fish and an aquarium what should i get??? cause i'm new at this fish keeping
Old 01-25-2005, 06:59 PM   #2
Rudy_627

So im just wondering... can anyone help me?
Old 01-25-2005, 07:04 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I'd start with Freshwater if I were you. If you do start with Salt, take it SLOW and ask lots of questions here.

Do you want corals eventually or just fish?

And the men who spurred us on sit in judgment of all wrong, they decide and the shotgun sings the song.

125 SW
80 lb LR
330w PC
Euphyllia, Alveopora, Pachyclauvularia (Metallic Green and Daisy), Frogspawn, Torch, Gold Nepthea, Kenya Tree, Galaxea, Pulsing Xenia, various leather (umbrella, toadstool, fingers, devil fingers, lettuce)
Maroon Clown/White tip LT anemone, Powder Blue Tang, Female Swallow Angel, SixLine Wrasse, Solar Fairy Wrasse, Firefish, Fathead Anthias, Blue Mandarin, 3 Chromis, 3 Green Gobies
Clown Monarch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2005, 07:06 PM   #4
Rudy_627

i dont really know are corals good for this fish cause i want a big tank.... but a cheap one cause my dad used to have an aquarium but something happend and too much copper got into the water and the fish died so are corals good?
Old 01-25-2005, 07:08 PM   #5
Rudy_627

the reason why saltwater fish is cause the beauty of them and thier color
Old 01-25-2005, 07:10 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

If any amount of copper gets into the tank, you'll lose all of you invertebrates, including most corals.

Corals are just another animal, some like them some don't. They demand excellent water condtion and a great deal of patience. they're generally expensive too - especially when you're starting off and killing $30-$40 corals.

125 gallons is a good starter tank. It's big enough that changes in water quality can be detected before everything dies. The bigger the better to start.

You'll most likely want live rock whether you're going Fish-Only or not.

And the men who spurred us on sit in judgment of all wrong, they decide and the shotgun sings the song.

125 SW
80 lb LR
330w PC
Euphyllia, Alveopora, Pachyclauvularia (Metallic Green and Daisy), Frogspawn, Torch, Gold Nepthea, Kenya Tree, Galaxea, Pulsing Xenia, various leather (umbrella, toadstool, fingers, devil fingers, lettuce)
Maroon Clown/White tip LT anemone, Powder Blue Tang, Female Swallow Angel, SixLine Wrasse, Solar Fairy Wrasse, Firefish, Fathead Anthias, Blue Mandarin, 3 Chromis, 3 Green Gobies
Clown Monarch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2005, 07:11 PM   #7
Rudy_627

whats "Live Rock"?????? and how much is a 125 gallon tank and is that big?
Old 01-25-2005, 07:17 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

There is no such thing as too big in this hobby
Old 01-25-2005, 07:20 PM   #9
Rudy_627

well i dont know sizes
Old 01-25-2005, 07:46 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Activist

125 gallons is big and a lot of money

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com