Im getting an aquarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
R

Rudy_627

Hey i'm thinking about getting some saltwater fish and an aquarium what should i get??? cause i'm new at this fish keeping

I'd start with Freshwater if I were you. If you do start with Salt, take it SLOW and ask lots of questions here.

Do you want corals eventually or just fish?

i dont really know are corals good for this fish cause i want a big tank.... but a cheap one cause my dad used to have an aquarium but something happend and too much copper got into the water and the fish died so are corals good?

the reason why saltwater fish is cause the beauty of them and thier color

If any amount of copper gets into the tank, you'll lose all of you invertebrates, including most corals.

Corals are just another animal, some like them some don't. They demand excellent water condtion and a great deal of patience. they're generally expensive too - especially when you're starting off and killing $30-$40 corals.

125 gallons is a good starter tank. It's big enough that changes in water quality can be detected before everything dies. The bigger the better to start.

You'll most likely want live rock whether you're going Fish-Only or not.

whats "Live Rock"?????? and how much is a 125 gallon tank and is that big?

125 gallons will most likely be at least 5 feet long... checked some "standard" charts and they list a 125 generally at 72 1/2 x 18 1/2 x 23 3/8. What does this mean to you? Easier time in the long run, since any change you make in the tank will have to be that much bigger in order for you to make a large mistake. Bigger tanks are more forgiving.

But... more water and larger tanks will most likely be more expensive. A large tank is expensive (unless found used), will require more salt mixture ($$), more pounds of substrate ($$), more pounds of rocks ($$, depending on if you pick up "live rocks" or just decorative), more lighting ($$, depending if you chose a fish only tank, reef, or fowlr), more heating, and probably more money on fish (if you wish to add more fish compared to a smaller tank). BUT... imo it's well worth it, especially if you are a fish nut like some people are here. :lol:

But don't worry, you could possibly sink the same amount of money in a smaller tank if you're not careful, so it's really up to your skills with DIY, and your abilities to find good deals. In the end, it's up to you

~Rob

wow thanks for the advice but i dont know where i can find a used fish tank store here in oklahoma for 125 gallons and i think my parents wont spend that mch on me :( :?

In all seriousness I'd start with something like a 10 gal freshwater setup. That way you start of getting a good feel for things including:water parameters, tank size, and costs. Even if you could find a cheap tank, once you start putting things together you can get overwhelmed easily. I really think a smaller FW tank would be good not only for yourself to get use to but also your parents. After a while if you feel you've got a good hanlde on things, and you think you can affort upgrading, then you get the larger tank and you can use the smaller one for a QT. Just my thoughts...

I would start with a freshwater tank if your new. I know the salt fish are great looking, but are very sensitive. 10 or 20 gallon is the way to go at first. Their are alot of great FW fish with personality, and color.

The average cost of a salt tank will run into the thousands of dollars area. So you have to be prepared to spend that amount of money.

I have done a 20 gallon and moved it to a 75 gallon with 60+ pounds of lr and a few fish and a nice 4x65 watt coralife light fixture for under 800.00 The key is to do alot research first. It was/is a lot of fun along the way. :D

yea i figgerd out what im gonna do im gonna get a 6 gal tank maybe FO :mrgreen: i really hope i get a tank cuz im obsessed with fish now cause of ya'll THANK YOU!!! i cant wait but im starting out with FOWC but most likely FO what kinda fish should i get for my little 6 gal tank?

You can get a Nanocube for just under $100. It's 12 gals., comes with a protien skimmer, filter, and the pump. You could probably keep a percula clown OR damsel in that, and maybe a goby. I can't think of any fish that would do well in a 6 gal. Especially if you are just starting out. If a hundred dollars sounds too expensive, think of it this way...you'll go through that hundred dollars in a few months replacing the poor fish that die in that 6 gal.

Back
Top Bottom