Im giving up...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
the method described in that post does not require breaking down the tank.. :p
he takes out about 1/3 at a time and "cooks" it then swaps out for the next batch..

honestly.. if the rock is the problem.. I would want the cause of the problem taken care of.. what AXNO3 will do to for the LR I dont know :?

edit: seaham358.. I just noticed it was you that posted that.. what does AXNO3 do exactly?
and to add.. I would be a little more agressive with "cooking" if I had a skimmer to spare/acess to I would use it.. or whatever else I thought might help..

Phosphates and Nitrates just don't show up, they are a result of some kind of addition to the tank in bio-load. Unfortunately, results are not going to be instant and it may take a few weeks for progress to be seen. I'd would stick with, reduced feedings, reduced lighting, and some larger and/or more frequent water changes. The most important thing in this hobby is patience, I have learned that the hard way. In any case, good luck with the battle. I would use cooking the rock as a last result, but would cook the rock before I started using algae "maskers" in the form of chemicals.

AZNO3 is something I have looked at over the last year when I had no3/po4 issues. From my personal internet based research it appears to work *with* caveats. You should see the mfg website for those, however, used proper with a good skimmer, and it sounds like you have a good one, you should see a substantial reduction in your no3. My battle was almost a mirror of yours (mrpope) in that I had no idea where it was coming from, only that I had it and I could not force it gone. Even after 6 - 8 months I still have a little hair algea but its not out of control as it was. I sympathize with you completely and know for sure as others here that if you work at this, you'll get past it. It seems to be something everyone in the hobby has to endure at some point..perhaps one of Nature's cruel tests of our mettle. Please do post any follow up info. We all appreciate hearing what works and what fails for others.

Peace.

greenmaji "cooking" involves taking all the LR out of the tank and setting up vats/cans to cook it in this IMO is a last resort. Its a break down of the entire tank your talking about.
azan3 you add to the tank and Like I said it has worked on several tanks that I have seen and they had some bad HA. Again I would only use chemicals as a last resort before "cooking " LR.
From what I have read there are some PO4 and NO3 that our tests will not pick up so if your showing 0 that does not mean its not there. As always follow the directions of any additive.

If you check out the link... the author does not break down the entire tank to do it, it all does eventualy get taken out and "cooked" just not all at once..
yes, breaking down the tank and doing it all at once may be more proper job to completely break down the tank and do all of it at once, but from what others have written on a up and running system that may just be overdoing it.
I dont want to add coals to the fire or anything.. so..
If the product works and its skimmed out (assuming you have a good skimmer) then maybe it is worth a shot.. you can always "cook" the rocks if it doesnt resolve the issue..

Back
Top Bottom