Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-03-2006, 08:10 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Im giving up...

after an 8 month battle with hair algae, I think Im finally going to give up. I have changed lighting, flow, water perameters, and have even used that stop hair algae stuff and nothing works. Seriously, I have tried everything. With the money I have spent on trying to fix this problem, I could have bought a new 100 gallon setup with all the accessories. Sorry I just need to vent.

So If there are any new methods of eradicating hair algae out there any advice would help. BTW, any one in the san francisco area want a 40 gal reef fixer-upper?

Old 01-03-2006, 08:16 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist

OK first off, whats are you using to check Nitrates, phosphates and what levels are they? Also what about your cleaning crew?

Old 01-03-2006, 08:16 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

Oh, forgot to mention:
ammonia:0
nitrite:0
nitrate:0
phosphate:0
silicate:0

all tests conducted with salifert testing equipment, and replacement water is good too.
Old 01-03-2006, 08:21 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

My clean up crew is quite sufficient, the only problem is that they dont even touch the hair algae. Infact, the snails dont even go on the rocks.
Old 01-03-2006, 08:39 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Well, if you want to spend a bit more, I've heard great things about phosban. Water changes are usually enough to take care of nuisance algaes but it takes alot of them and a good bit of time to get ahead. Because the algae is there is proof that there is phosphates in your system. It's not showing because it's being depleted by the algae. I'd keep trying with the water changes and be more aggressive, manual removal may help as well. But, I've heard phosban will also help if you have a mind to go that route.
Old 01-03-2006, 08:57 PM   #6
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Hara
the way I beat it was by manual removal and a complete black out of the tank. If you have a place to farm out the corals and clam, it would be helpful. You could then black out the tank for a couple of weeks. I looked over your clean up crew, nothing there could possibly eat enough of the hair algae to give you a helping hand. I was in the tank removing it with a toothbrush and forceps every night for a month. Then an interesting thing happened, my lighting unit broke down and I had no lights for a week. When the lights came back there was very little hair algae and that I took care of by hand.

Please dont give up yet. You can turn it around.
Old 01-03-2006, 08:59 PM   #7
AA Team Emeritus

Have you tried any turbo grazer snails. These are the big ones that can't right themselves if they fall. They went to town on my hair algae and cleaned it up. The difference from day to day was amazing.

Also, what's your lighting period? Have you cut back to just a few hours each day?
PWC, lot's of them can help too? Are you using RODI water?
cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 09:19 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Activist

I tried phosban, but it didnt really help, I use RO/DI replacement water, I had some turbo grazers, but they stayed on the glass, my algae blenny likes to eat it a little, my lighting period has been reduced to 8 hrs/day. I tried the manual removal method a while back, but I swear it spread more fast but breaking it up. The toothbrush attached to a siphon sounds good, but it will just come back because of the root systems still attached to the rock. The one thing that seems to work the best is that stop hair algae stuff, but it just comes back. At one point it was nearly gone, so I turned off the lights for 4 days, and it looked pretty good after that, but it was back in a matter of days.

It started as dark green hair algae and now it is light green/brown and even more ugly. I have lost lots of coral due to this and eveything hides in my tank and it looks like a ghost town. It really sucks.
Old 01-03-2006, 09:24 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

You could try "cooking" your rock. There has to be a source for the algae. Have you tried getting your water from somewhere else? Where does your RO/DI water come from?
Old 01-03-2006, 09:27 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Activist

Well I may be wrong but algae eats phosphates, I also would check if your test kits are still good. Phosphates can become undetectable since the algae is eating it. I would invest in a phosban reactor there cheap enough and see what happens?

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com