i'm having problems with a salt tank thats been set up for 3 months.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

conkyy

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So I'll post it here (hopefully)
i'm having problems with a salt tank thats been set up for 3 months. About 10 days ago I lost 4 fish in 2 days. I believe I added to many at once and it couldent handle it. I checked water with api salt kit yesterday nitrite-0, nitrate-0, ph-7.8, amm -.25 . salinity in the green on my hydrometer. I have a foxface in there and some cleaner shrimp, and a snail. I added a tang last nite and he was dead this morning. acclimated a lil water in bag and I floated it for 20 minutes.

You are adding too many fish at a time. As a matter of fact dont add any fish if you are showing signs of ammonia. Ammonia at any level is lethal. I would do a few PWC`s get that ammonia to 0 and then dont add anything for a month or so. After you have had a few weeks of stable readings then add one fish and wait another month before adding any more. Slow is better. Moving this to the SW sick fish forum.

Wow, It was at zero at one time, guess I am lucky the foxface is still alive. I have well water, what do you recommend (if anything) adding to it? Aqua safe? when I do Partial water change?
And thanks for the Quick reply!

Thats what I did to post, This layout is the same as dozens of other forums I belong too. I didnt know if there was a minimum amount to post in some areas.
Thanks!

My foxface died, ammonia is showing 0ppm. The only fish left in tank is a black molly, there are some shrimp and a large snail who are fine. Any ideas???

temperature maybe? ... did the fish become pale for a period of time or died all of a sudden?

temp stays at 78. I had the foxface for a month. I tried to add another fish acouple times but they died within a day. I didnt see any odd markings on them.

Wow, It was at zero at one time, guess I am lucky the foxface is still alive. I have well water, what do you recommend (if anything) adding to it? Aqua safe? when I do Partial water change?
And thanks for the Quick reply!

The water is the problem you have some thing in it thats killing your fish try to buy some RODI water from some were i buy mine at W-Mart it's $1.84 for 5 gal. jug 1st time you buy it will cost a bit more due to the bottle charge mine was $12 with 1st fill
You may have to toss any rock that you have as it will hold the bad stuff and leach it back into the tank Good luck

Back
Top Bottom