Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-21-2011, 11:19 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Infected Eibli Angel

I bought an eibli angel last week. Long story short, sometime in between transporting the fish, and the first day in the tank, she developed what I originally thought was a skin lesion on her left side of some sort. I treated it with stress coat, which I used on previous occasions to fix a nipped tail or fins on my clowns (their still pairing off). It slowly grew and started to protrude.

I called the LFR and they said it was most likely a bacterial infection. They told me to use mellafix, which I started using on Saturday. The area has gotten progressively larger and more protruding. She seems to be swimming okay, she stays in one spot and swims around a little. She's breathing a little hard, and I'm not sure if it's me or a symptom, but her head and gills are bluish as well. What worries me the most is that she isn't really eating. All the other fish gobble anything down, but she won't eat. I've put it almost right in her face, and she still won't eat. She hasn't eaten for about 3-4 days now. She used to be pretty active, swimming around the tank, in and out of my artificial rocks, now she stays hidden most of the time.

Tank specs: 60 gallon with sump and cannister filter. Its been up for about 3 months now, live sand but no live rock. There are two clowns in the tank as well.

Anyone have any suggestions? I'm going to continue using the mella-fix (the bottle says to use for 7 days.) I did a water change on Saturday as well.

Old 11-26-2011, 11:02 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

For melafix, you can go over 7 days if needed. Just do a 25% pwc at the end of the 7. You could also use pimafix. That is to treat fungus, melafix is for stuff like open wounds. I think you can use them in combination for best results, not sure though, so I wold double check that.

Old 11-26-2011, 11:05 AM   #3

The angel is too small for that tank.
Old 11-26-2011, 11:18 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Wait what? The bigger the tank the better, and the angel is fine in that sized tank. I hope he gets better, just try the mela/pima combo if its safe. GL!!!!!
Old 11-26-2011, 11:23 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by zacheyp View Post
The angel is too small for that tank.
How can a 60 gallon tank be to big for an angelfish when they come from the ocean?

It might be a simple infection and I am hoping that is what. Do you have a tank you can set up as a hospital tank instead of treating the display tank?
Old 11-26-2011, 10:28 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

If that tanks too big mother nature is doing a pretty crappy job at keeping fish lol. A QT would be better because you could keep a closer eye on the fish and also treat with less mela/pima. GL!!!!!!
Old 12-02-2011, 05:40 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Regular

Okay, sorry for taking so long to reply. Unfortunately the angel didn't make it. The infection got worse and worse. Long story short, I had an ammonia spike because I couldn't find a chromis that died in my tank (apparently I either had a bad batch of chromis or chromis just like to dye off for no reason...) The ammonia never got that high, all the other fish were fine. I think the stress, plus infection, plus ammonia did the poor thing in. I've gotten multiple reccomendations regarding a quarantine tank, but as of yet I don't have one. Unfortunately I don't have the space for one. But if I was going to set one up, what would I need?
Old 12-04-2011, 01:49 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

A tank a filter and a heater.
Old 12-05-2011, 11:03 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Regular

Alrighty, not to hard then.

Tags
angel, bacterial infection

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com