Infected zoanthids?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DarkAnviL

Aquarium Advice Regular
I've had these red zoanthids for a couple of months now and was doing very well ever since a few weeks ago. Some of them started to get these white dots all over their stems, not all them have the white dots only a section has them. About 25% of the entire colony has the dots on them. And the ones with the dots don't seem to open up at all. The rest of them open up just fine and look very healthy. Are my zoanthids infected with something? Liek I said at first they were all doing fine, no issues at all. All opened up real nice and looked all very healthy. Any ideas? I've attached a pic of them, enlarge the pic if you can't make out the white dots. Also I forgot to mention in this pic the zoas were just disturbed by a hermit crab crawling on them so they all seem pretty closed up at the moment, normally they are all open except the ones with the dots, TY.

I'm not sure about the diagnosis (anxious to hear from someone that is), but you may want to consider a dip or fragging them. Wait for someone that knows what it is. Just thinking out loud...

Yeah those things don't look good, I'm with H1 and I'd do an iodine dip to get rid of those white things. They look like some kind of mite or something. I will try to get you a picture of it.

Judging by the link that TC gave, it looks like your zoas have a case of Zoa Pox. Looks the most similar too me.

I would try an iodine dip at this point.
you can dip shrooms and zoas. theres directions on the bottles (lugol's). Usually i do about 10-15 drops in 1/2 a pint of tank water and let 'em sit for 15 mins.

I would try an iodine dip at this point.
you can dip shrooms and zoas. theres directions on the bottles (lugol's). Usually i do about 10-15 drops in 1/2 a pint of tank water and let 'em sit for 15 mins.

I bought some Lugol's Solution and tryed dipping them for 15 min, we'll see what that does. Hopefully it's a cure but who knows. That link explaining zoapox recommends another kind of dip to use as a cure. It also explains how temperature change can bring zoapox on, which my tank has went through a temp change because of the little spurt of warm weather that came through, my tank went from it's normal 78 to 80 degrees to 83+ over a few days time. I guess theres no definitive reason of where or why zoapox happens so it's all guess work/trial and error i sappose.

Good, the iodine dip is not to stressful on the Zoas so it's a good first start in a treatment. Don't do any more then 15 mins.

Did you do some water test to rule that out? Also you might want to place them in other places to see if that would help.

Did you do some water test to rule that out? Also you might want to place them in other places to see if that would help.

Yeah all water parameters are good, phosphate always stays at 0.5 until I get a phos reactor but I don't think that is what brought this on.

Back
Top Bottom