Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-07-2004, 11:39 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak

Now you're all scaring me! Again, this was a "sure, you can get it" from my lfs before I knew better. Mine has been great. Good tankmate and no problems. And thanks for jinxing me.

Old 05-07-2004, 11:40 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Freak

By the way, Shark, how do you keep current on the number of snails. Mine are passing out of existance all the time. Mostly their own stupidity.

Old 05-07-2004, 02:21 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to quarryshark
Not trying to jinx you. Sounds like yours is doing fine. When I bought my yellow, I was teetering between that and a regal. (my kids were really pressuring me for a Dori). I just based my decision of people I talk to, things I read. Of course you don't hear the "good' reports as I'm sure there are many.
I may still get one in the future. Great fish! It was mostly my lfs that spooked me.
BTW look below for update on snails. I thing my hermits have taken a few out. I do try and right them when they fall on their back, but I'm sure I miss a few.
PS, the "smart ones" stayon the glass. 8O
Old 05-07-2004, 04:42 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

My 4yr old daughter wanted a Dori in the worst way. Due to cost and from what read about being disease prone I went with an Orange shoulder Tang instead. It is doing great so far after 4 months. definitely likes my cleaner shrimp which I feel makes a big difference with any potential parasite issues. The Orange shoulder Tang is Dori's cousin as far as my my daughter is concerned.

Tank: 90 Gal SW Reef in the making

See my info for setup and inhabitant details:
afilter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2004, 09:39 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice FINatic

What do you people think the minimum tank size should be for a Blue Tang? I know liveaquaria.com says 70 gals, and I want to say that i saw one on another web page that was even smaller. Any suggestions?
Old 05-08-2004, 02:12 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via MSN to Nitrate
Mine grew like a weed in a 55 for about a year and a half, since moved up to a 150.
Old 05-08-2004, 07:16 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Freak

Mine is in a 25 right now. I've heard 50+ and even a caution in a 55. Mine's not too big for my 25 yet, but I'm setting up a 55 at the moment- mostly for my tang. I hope that buys me a year or two so that I can wear down my wife to get a bigger tank. (I have a 100 gallon set up and waiting in my garage right now, but according to my wife, it's on its way out.)

I've heard it's more of a matter of room to roam than striclty size for the tangs.
Old 05-09-2004, 09:06 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice Freak

The Hippo Tank is more prone to disease's, it usually does not do well in smaller systems. This is a fish that will hide alot! You will not see much of the blue tang and it will hide when anyone gets near the tank. Sometimes adding open swimmers to the tank it will help it come out more, but what they do best is hide. This is a messy fish and does get around 10" - 12" in the home aquarium.
Here is a good article on the Blue Tang http://www.wetwebmedia.com/paracant.htm

Kaye
Old 05-09-2004, 12:42 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Good article specialk, thanks!

Tags
blue tang, tan, tang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com