Info needed on "Blue Tang"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishman

Aquarium Advice Addict
All
My wife is wanting me to get a "Dori" from the movie nemo. I dont know exactly which one this is....can someone tell me? She said it is a blue tang. I have a 125 FOWLR.....fish so far are LM Blenny, 1 yellow wrasse, 2 clowns, 1 yellow tailed damsel.
Any ideas or thoughts on getting this "blue tang"? Are they hard to keep? will it be ok in my current tank setup? Need to research this tang and see whats happening before I get it.
Thanks

Here's some general info on them...

Common Names: Hippo Tang, Regal Tang, Pacific Blue Tang, Yellow tail Tang, and Hepatus Tang.

Natural Habitat: Indo-Pacific; East Africa to the Line Islands. In Australia on the Great Barrier Reef extending the entire length.

Aquarium Care/Experience:
• Will grow up to 12".
• The Hippo Tang is very susceptible to ich, lateral line disease, fin erosion, and other parasitic diseases. Best possible way to avoid is to use quarantine tank and also the use of cleaner shrimp.
• Reef safe
• The Hippo Tang will tolerate other tangs but will have a tendency to be aggressive to conspecifics.
• As a juvenile can be fed variety of algae based foods, i.e. seaweed and spirulina enriched foods. It will mature into an omnivore, therefore, a more meaty diet is preferred, i.e. mysid shrimp, plankton.
• Overall care: Purchase healthy specimens, keep healthy water qualities, and feed a good diet for success in keeping this species.

This is a beautiful fish, but buyer beware. These do not do well in most tanks. They are ich magnants. One day it is fine, the next day you look and it will be covered with marine ich. The surface of the blue tang is covered in more of a skin rather then scales. This makes it more prone to infections. If you decide to try keeping this fish, buy it from a reputable LFS, make sure it is eating, and most importantly QT the fish at your home for four weeks before putting into your display tank. Make sure all of your other fish are 100% healthy and your water is excellent. Good luck! Lando

Ive had a pacific blue in a fish only tank for 2 years. It had a brief problem with lateral line disease, but it managed to avoid getting ich during an outbreak. I was always leary of getting a tang, but ive been very lucky with this little guy.

His biggest benefit is that he eats all the tidbits that the other fish leave floating in the water.

Whoever decided that Dori was a Pacific Blue obviously knew a little about sw fish, because mine is definetly a litte empty headed.

Well this is good to hear. I have heard both ends of the spectrum for sure...some people swear they are hard to keep and very diseased and others say they arent and are very easy to keep. I dont know what to think. Im really thinking of just taking the plunge and getting one and putting it in the QT tank for 4-6 weeks. I just dont want to infect my other fish that are doing so well in the show tank.
Thanks

Just be sure to have some type of garlic supplement in your food. I've heard that works well, along with a temp of 80-84 degrees. My tank isn't quite that warm but I've been using algae flake food with garlic and have had no problems.

My tang has been great in my tank (a little small for a larger tang), but it will be getting a 55 when the stand and canopy build themselves- hopefully soon.

Go for it and have fun! The QT is the best advice.

Yes I use garlic on everything now as it is. I put it on the seaweed I put in the tank and also add 3 drops to the water when preparing the mysis to feed as well. Plus the tank runs around 78-82 basically.
Thanks

We have an article by Dr. Ron if you would like to read it. Kim basically condensed it for you, but he states in the article that he can count on one hand the number of Blues that DIDNT come down with ich during the Q/t process.

Squishy

Yup, that fish scares me. Thats why we went with a Yellow instead (our Dori). I know they are prone to ich as well, but so far we've had no problem with her.
Good luck whatever you decide!!

Now you're all scaring me! Again, this was a "sure, you can get it" from my lfs before I knew better. Mine has been great. Good tankmate and no problems. And thanks for jinxing me.

By the way, Shark, how do you keep current on the number of snails. Mine are passing out of existance all the time. Mostly their own stupidity.

Not trying to jinx you. Sounds like yours is doing fine. When I bought my yellow, I was teetering between that and a regal. (my kids were really pressuring me for a Dori). I just based my decision of people I talk to, things I read. Of course you don't hear the "good' reports as I'm sure there are many.
I may still get one in the future. Great fish! It was mostly my lfs that spooked me.
BTW look below for update on snails. I thing my hermits have taken a few out. I do try and right them when they fall on their back, but I'm sure I miss a few. :wink:
PS, the "smart ones" stayon the glass. 8O

My 4yr old daughter wanted a Dori in the worst way. Due to cost and from what read about being disease prone I went with an Orange shoulder Tang instead. It is doing great so far after 4 months. definitely likes my cleaner shrimp which I feel makes a big difference with any potential parasite issues. The Orange shoulder Tang is Dori's cousin as far as my my daughter is concerned. :lol:

What do you people think the minimum tank size should be for a Blue Tang? I know liveaquaria.com says 70 gals, and I want to say that i saw one on another web page that was even smaller. Any suggestions?

Mine grew like a weed in a 55 for about a year and a half, since moved up to a 150.

Mine is in a 25 right now. I've heard 50+ and even a caution in a 55. Mine's not too big for my 25 yet, but I'm setting up a 55 at the moment- mostly for my tang. I hope that buys me a year or two so that I can wear down my wife to get a bigger tank. (I have a 100 gallon set up and waiting in my garage right now, but according to my wife, it's on its way out.)

I've heard it's more of a matter of room to roam than striclty size for the tangs.

The Hippo Tank is more prone to disease's, it usually does not do well in smaller systems. This is a fish that will hide alot! You will not see much of the blue tang and it will hide when anyone gets near the tank. Sometimes adding open swimmers to the tank it will help it come out more, but what they do best is hide. This is a messy fish and does get around 10" - 12" in the home aquarium.
Here is a good article on the Blue Tang http://www.wetwebmedia.com/paracant.htm

Kaye

Back
Top Bottom