Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-06-2005, 11:10 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Send a message via AIM to jbro
Injured Marble Star

This poor guy doesn't look good. I can't think of anything in my tank that would do this. The best news I can hear from anybody is that it is some kind of normal process, but I don't think so. Is there anything I can do for him?
Attached Images

55gal main tank as room divider (3 sides), Coralife (4) 65w Compact Fluorescent-2 actintic, 20gal sump with Mag Drive 500, (3) maxijet12oo for movement with wavemaker, Remora HOB skimmer in sump, 1" CC with 10lbs LS, 70lbs LR, 1 Pink damsel, 2 ocallaris clowns, yellow tang, neon gobi, Orchid Dottyback, hermits (red & blue), 1 arrow crab, 2 Peppermint shrimp, . Hitchhikers: (4) brown brittlestars, (4) emerald crabs, fleshy limpet, pencil urchin, britsle worms, feather dusters, plus sessiles (sponges) to ID.
jbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2005, 11:17 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to quarryshark
How long have you had him?

Old 02-06-2005, 12:14 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

2 weeks.
Old 02-06-2005, 12:16 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Regular

what I am referring to is the red "guts" that are coming out from the middle of him. sorry i didn't state that before.
Old 02-06-2005, 01:29 PM   #5
steve-s

From underneath or above? I can't tell from the pic.

Some stars digest foods outside their body by extending the gut. They expell the stomach over the food source dissolving it and then take it back in to feed.

If from on top of the star, it may be a sign of damage.

Cheers
Steve
Old 02-06-2005, 01:36 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Regular

yes, it's from the top. I do hear unexplainable "clicking" every now and then. I hope it's not a mantis shrimp. the star is just drooping now, hanging on to rock with only one arm. No "cleaners" interested yet.
Old 02-06-2005, 01:40 PM   #7
steve-s

Could be something attacked it or it just didn't fair well during the acclimation process. Either way, not much you can do about it I'm afraid. The only suggestion is a few good sized water changes with well aged/aerated SW to help wil DOC. Just be very sure all the parameters are a strong match to the main. You don't want to further stress the star.

Cheers
Steve
Old 02-06-2005, 03:55 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Regular

Ok. I did a WC. I always match parameters. Thanks for keeping tabs. I'm going to try and research if this was self-induced or an attack.
Old 02-06-2005, 06:13 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Regular

The lights came on now and I can see him better. There's a big, open gash right in the middle of him with guts hanging out. The thing is that he's hanging on to the rock fully now. I know there isn't much I can do, except watch. I thought the hermits would be going after the flesh, but they're not yet. If they do, I imagine I would have to isolate him somehow. For now, I'm leaving him so as not to stress him. This is really freaking me out.

Tags
injured, star

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com