Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-31-2005, 02:39 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Send a message via AIM to elise
injured pink spotted gobie [pix]

Hey, i purchased this cutie about 2 weeks ago.. added him to the main tank 6 days ago. Hes the only fish in the tank. (few hermit crabs and other crabs also). Its been fishless for about 5 months now.. Just live rock and such. I was trying to starve the nasty cirlioid isopods i had in my tank.

Water perams are awesome.

about 2 days ago i noticed something on his side.. almost like a crab maybe pinched him? i dunno.. but then yesterday i noticed something else on his other side across from the other wound.. now i dont know what the hell is going on but it is getting worse and worse...

Sorry its late, and this post prolly doesnt make much sence.. but here are the pix.. ( hopefully thats just poo hangin outta him.. by the way)

this look familar to anyone?

Old 01-31-2005, 06:20 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

I'm suspecting a bacterial infection. Perhaps the fish got stuck between rocks??? Whatever the cause of this infection, the fish needs to be isolated and treated. You can give the fish a three minute freshwater bath. This does help kill saltwater borne bacteria. Make sure the temps are close to the temps of the tank and make sure it is dechlorinated. Do not exceed three minutes. Use an antibiotic to treat the infection.

The oceans surely would swallow us before a rock comes down to smite the planet of it's life.
Nov/2004
TCTFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2005, 11:06 AM   #3
steve-s

If the fish is by itself I would leave it be. Moving to a QT at this point isn't necessary. Do a few large water changes with well aged/aerated SW to lower DOC as much as possible and be sure to soak the foods in a good vitamin high in [acronym="Highly Unsaturated Fatty Acid"]HUFA[/acronym]'s. The wound is minor and should be easily healed by the fish.

If treatment becomes necessary, simpley acclimate to a QT and treat with Maracyn II at double the dose daily for 7 full days. Do not dip the fish.

FWIW, isopds can live upto a year without a fish host. 8O

Cheers
Steve
Old 01-31-2005, 02:39 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Regular

Send a message via AIM to elise
crap about those isopods... =\

Unfortunately, the gobie died this morning.. i think he was weak and the crabs got him. First fish to die since i started this hobby.. poor guy.

thanks for the help though
Old 01-31-2005, 04:42 PM   #5
steve-s

Sorry for your loss

FWIW, I don't think the small wound (or you personally) had much to do with it.

Cheers
Steve

Tags
gobi, gobie, injured, pink

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com