injured pink spotted gobie [pix]

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

elise

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hey, i purchased this cutie about 2 weeks ago.. added him to the main tank 6 days ago. Hes the only fish in the tank. (few hermit crabs and other crabs also). Its been fishless for about 5 months now.. Just live rock and such. I was trying to starve the nasty cirlioid isopods i had in my tank.

Water perams are awesome.

about 2 days ago i noticed something on his side.. almost like a crab maybe pinched him? i dunno.. but then yesterday i noticed something else on his other side across from the other wound.. now i dont know what the hell is going on but it is getting worse and worse...

Sorry its late, and this post prolly doesnt make much sence.. but here are the pix.. ( hopefully thats just poo hangin outta him.. by the way)

this look familar to anyone?
img_326230_0_da76e3c8429f79e03cfd6ffff7ee9098.jpg

img_326230_1_348a777ba19a364fcce9a171d8385dc6.jpg

I'm suspecting a bacterial infection. Perhaps the fish got stuck between rocks??? Whatever the cause of this infection, the fish needs to be isolated and treated. You can give the fish a three minute freshwater bath. This does help kill saltwater borne bacteria. Make sure the temps are close to the temps of the tank and make sure it is dechlorinated. Do not exceed three minutes. Use an antibiotic to treat the infection.

If the fish is by itself I would leave it be. Moving to a QT at this point isn't necessary. Do a few large water changes with well aged/aerated SW to lower DOC as much as possible and be sure to soak the foods in a good vitamin high in [acronym="Highly Unsaturated Fatty Acid"]HUFA[/acronym]'s. The wound is minor and should be easily healed by the fish.

If treatment becomes necessary, simpley acclimate to a QT and treat with Maracyn II at double the dose daily for 7 full days. Do not dip the fish.

FWIW, isopds can live upto a year without a fish host. 8O

Cheers
Steve

crap about those isopods... =\

Unfortunately, the gobie died this morning.. i think he was weak and the crabs got him. First fish to die since i started this hobby.. poor guy.

thanks for the help though

Sorry for your loss :(

FWIW, I don't think the small wound (or you personally) had much to do with it.

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom