Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-12-2002, 03:52 PM   #11
Alf
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
It cool, but any comments on the target/experience? i have not read any good reports bout using it myself..
I don't target feed very often, as usually the way I feed there is plenty of food to catch. But when I take the time to give them a direct feeding all go's fine. I feed a mush that I make my self from the seafood store. MY anenome has split twice in the last 9 months. I wish she would stop! Before all that will fit in this tank is anenome's

See My Tanks through the links below:Have you Joined your Local Marine Club?? For The Dallas Fort Worth area, sign up at DFWMAS
Alf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2002, 04:00 PM   #12
Alf
Aquarium Advice Regular

Most SW LFS carry Silver sides and Krill. But I get mine from the seafood store or local grocery store seafood Dept. I make my own mush to feed fish and corals. I have never seen dried before usually fresh or Frozen. HTH

See My Tanks through the links below:Have you Joined your Local Marine Club?? For The Dallas Fort Worth area, sign up at DFWMAS
Old 10-12-2002, 04:29 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via AIM to Jacob Morgan Send a message via MSN to Jacob Morgan Send a message via Yahoo to Jacob Morgan
wat kind of anemone?? ligthing etc? always interested to find out more info bout setups and anemones...

Jacob
Old 10-12-2002, 05:00 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via AIM to Jacob Morgan Send a message via MSN to Jacob Morgan Send a message via Yahoo to Jacob Morgan
Quote:
No one I have spoken with, not even the public aquariums, can keep the white or yellow ones alive for more than 6-8 months. Out of the over 20 responses I received regarding sebaes only 2 anemones had stayed alive for over one year. Both of the anemones were tan in color either when purchased or had turned tan shortly there after. One thought is that sebae anemones may expel their symbiotic algae shortly after capture and when it is completely gone it is not easily replaced. Frank Greco of the New York Aquarium says that he has been successful in getting otherwise healthy sebaes to "color up" by feeding once a week with fresh fish, clam, shrimp or gelatin. They also get live brine shrimp, adult and baby, and a yeast based diet of his own design. In addition to the frequent feedings the anemones are exposed to very bright light, three 400 watt metal halide bulbs over the six foot by six foot, four foot tall anemone tank. If the anemone is not able to replace its zooxanthellae it is doomed to a very slow starvation once in the tank. There are cream colored sebae anemones found in shallow water in the wild, but they are not the transparent white color found in the dealers tanks. These don't seem to be a good beginner's anemone despite articles I have read that say they are.

From a article called "choosing your next anemone"

Tha is bout sebea anemones..

HTH

Jacob
Old 10-12-2002, 09:10 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Regular

Send a message via MSN to MaggiesGame
target feeding

I'm assuming when u say target feeding, you're referring to individual feeding instead of the whole tank? Sorry, I'm new to all this. 8O
I feed my bta individually and also my scallop, as thats what was recommended. Is this harmful? Or should I be feeding the whole ta
Old 10-12-2002, 09:23 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Activist

target feednig is like a bottle of liquid "juice" u squirt at the anemone. I have read bad tings bout this technique as it tends to degrade water quality. I feed my anemone "whole" shrimp from the local grocier.

Jacob
Old 10-12-2002, 10:03 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Regular

I do feed the bubble tip frozen krill and clams....but it refuses the shrimp. So far, I haven't found out alot about feeding the scallop tho, but that does make sense.
Old 10-12-2002, 11:53 PM   #18
AA Team Emeritus

Target feeding is feeding an individual animal (your target). What Jacob is referring to is a type of target food (probably put out by Coralife). You can target feed shrimp or krill or silversides, etc....Target feeding is beneficial to the tank, because it will not pollute the tank. When Jacob fed his condy a shrimp, he was target feeding, since he did not feed the entire tank...Your scallop (as well as many other organisms in your tank) will appreciate live phyto as a source of food.

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2002, 12:09 AM   #19
Alf
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob Morgan
wat kind of anemone?? ligthing etc? always interested to find out more info bout setups and anemones...

Jacob

BTA, two years old. Split two times and is trying a third as we speak. Lighting is 2x96w 6700k PC and 2x 55w antic O3 PC's. 55 gal tank skimmerless system 2.5 years old. 75lbs LR 6" DSB 14 gal sump 14 gal refugim.

Old 10-13-2002, 08:33 AM   #20
Aquarium Advice Regular

That's what I'm doing then...it's phytoplex by Kent. Glad I read this post! I'll stop using it I guess. Lord knows, I don't need any more problems with this tank. I've been lucky so far tho...the worst of my problems is the algae and that I can handle.
Thanks again!

Tags
anemone, injured

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com