Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-02-2002, 07:25 PM   #1
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Hara
injured sebae anemone

I had gotten a small sebae anemone last Saturday. Even though the peppermint shrimp are supposed to be reefsafe, one in particular had been plucking at it. At first, I thought it was just plucking at the mucous.
Today, when I came home from work, the anemone was in the sand bed and there were chunks out of its base and it is pretty well closed up with little movement. I have put it in a baby saver net to isolate it and have fed it with target feeder food. Is there anything else I can do for it?
I really do not think it will make it

I am pondering getting a snowflake eel to eat the shrimp, it is very upsetting to me that this has happened. I tried to make sure that the things I got were reefsafe and will get along. I have missed the boat somewhere.

Old 10-02-2002, 09:50 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via ICQ to Bang Guy
IMO the Seabae was probably dying and the shrimp was plucking at the dead flesh. A telltale sign is if the Anemone has expelled it's Zooxanthellae (it will be white instead of brown). I think you should keep the shrimp and forget about anemone If you're dead set on keeping an Anemone (no pun intended) then please try one that has been propogated by a fellow aquarist. This will probably be some type of Bubbletip.

Guy

Old 10-03-2002, 02:21 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via ICQ to CaliGal Send a message via MSN to CaliGal
Hara,

I have both anemones and peppermint shrimp together in my tank with no problems. I would imagine Guy is right on.

I, like you, have become discouraged when losing one of my wonderful marine life creatures. It happens, though. Knowing you have done all you can, with the best intentions, can provide solace.

Hang in!

Sue
Old 10-12-2002, 02:15 PM   #4
Alf
Aquarium Advice Regular

So how is the sebea doing now?? I have to agree with Guy. It was probably unhealthy to start with. Pep shrimp ususlly only attack weak critters that are on thier way out.

See My Tanks through the links below:Have you Joined your Local Marine Club?? For The Dallas Fort Worth area, sign up at DFWMAS
Alf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2002, 02:27 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via AIM to Jacob Morgan Send a message via MSN to Jacob Morgan Send a message via Yahoo to Jacob Morgan
I do not recomend target food. I will never try it from teh articles I have read ppl will start to use target and in return degrade water quality and cause the anemone to die.

anemones are very slow to show signs of damage and in return very slow to show beneficial signs... by the time you notice that your anemone is goin down its prolly too late to save it in most cases.

I have just purchased a condy after wanting 1for bout 11 months I finally got one. I am feeding mine with shrimp..

well HTH.... good luck

Jacob

psst if I am incorrect in anything pls let mek now this is just from reading articles i have found most of this out.
Old 10-12-2002, 02:51 PM   #6
Alf
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
I have just purchased a condy after wanting 1for bout 11 months I finally got one. I am feeding mine with shrimp..
brine is not real high in nutrition. I would recommend something a little more nutritous for it. Like silver sides, muscels, krill..etc.. for long term health. JMO and JME I have anenomes over two years old. HTH[/quote]

See My Tanks through the links below:Have you Joined your Local Marine Club?? For The Dallas Fort Worth area, sign up at DFWMAS
Old 10-12-2002, 03:12 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via AIM to Jacob Morgan Send a message via MSN to Jacob Morgan Send a message via Yahoo to Jacob Morgan
not brine.. actual shrimp from a grocery store.. i feed it a peaice bouit the size of its mouth.

Jacob
Old 10-12-2002, 03:20 PM   #8
Alf
Aquarium Advice Regular

Ok My bad.

Old 10-12-2002, 03:26 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Activist

It cool, but any comments on the target/experience? i have not read any good reports bout using it myself..

did you by any chance change to target food? and then it started dieing?

Jacob
Old 10-12-2002, 03:49 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Activist

[quote
brine is not real high in nutrition. I would recommend something a little more nutritous for it. Like silver sides, muscels, krill..etc.. for long term health. JMO and JME I have anenomes over two years old. HTH[/quote][/quote]

Do you buy silver sides, muscels, krill, etc at the LFS? I have seen dried Krill, but don't remember if I have seen the others. Are they dried or frozen?

Tags
anemone, injured

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com