injured sebae anemone

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hara

Aquarium Advice Addict
I had gotten a small sebae anemone last Saturday. Even though the peppermint shrimp are supposed to be reefsafe, one in particular had been plucking at it. At first, I thought it was just plucking at the mucous.
Today, when I came home from work, the anemone was in the sand bed and there were chunks out of its base and it is pretty well closed up with little movement. I have put it in a baby saver net to isolate it and have fed it with target feeder food. Is there anything else I can do for it?
I really do not think it will make it :cry:

I am pondering getting a snowflake eel to eat the shrimp, it is very upsetting to me that this has happened. I tried to make sure that the things I got were reefsafe and will get along. I have missed the boat somewhere.

IMO the Seabae was probably dying and the shrimp was plucking at the dead flesh. A telltale sign is if the Anemone has expelled it's Zooxanthellae (it will be white instead of brown). I think you should keep the shrimp and forget about anemone ;) If you're dead set on keeping an Anemone (no pun intended) then please try one that has been propogated by a fellow aquarist. This will probably be some type of Bubbletip.

Guy

Hara,

I have both anemones and peppermint shrimp together in my tank with no problems. I would imagine Guy is right on.

I, like you, have become discouraged when losing one of my wonderful marine life creatures. It happens, though. Knowing you have done all you can, with the best intentions, can provide solace.

Hang in!

Sue

So how is the sebea doing now?? I have to agree with Guy. It was probably unhealthy to start with. Pep shrimp ususlly only attack weak critters that are on thier way out.

I do not recomend target food. I will never try it from teh articles I have read ppl will start to use target and in return degrade water quality and cause the anemone to die.

anemones are very slow to show signs of damage and in return very slow to show beneficial signs... by the time you notice that your anemone is goin down its prolly too late to save it in most cases.

I have just purchased a condy after wanting 1for bout 11 months I finally got one. I am feeding mine with shrimp..

well HTH.... good luck

Jacob

psst if I am incorrect in anything pls let mek now this is just from reading articles i have found most of this out.

I have just purchased a condy after wanting 1for bout 11 months I finally got one. I am feeding mine with shrimp..

brine is not real high in nutrition. I would recommend something a little more nutritous for it. Like silver sides, muscels, krill..etc.. for long term health. JMO and JME I have anenomes over two years old. HTH[/quote]

not brine.. actual shrimp from a grocery store.. i feed it a peaice bouit the size of its mouth.

Jacob

It cool, but any comments on the target/experience? i have not read any good reports bout using it myself..

did you by any chance change to target food? and then it started dieing?

Jacob

[quote
brine is not real high in nutrition. I would recommend something a little more nutritous for it. Like silver sides, muscels, krill..etc.. for long term health. JMO and JME I have anenomes over two years old. HTH[/quote][/quote]

Do you buy silver sides, muscels, krill, etc at the LFS? I have seen dried Krill, but don't remember if I have seen the others. Are they dried or frozen?

It cool, but any comments on the target/experience? i have not read any good reports bout using it myself..

I don't target feed very often, as usually the way I feed there is plenty of food to catch. But when I take the time to give them a direct feeding all go's fine. I feed a mush that I make my self from the seafood store. MY anenome has split twice in the last 9 months. I wish she would stop! Before all that will fit in this tank is anenome's :lol:

Most SW LFS carry Silver sides and Krill. But I get mine from the seafood store or local grocery store seafood Dept. I make my own mush to feed fish and corals. I have never seen dried before usually fresh or Frozen. HTH

wat kind of anemone?? ligthing etc? always interested to find out more info bout setups and anemones...

Jacob

No one I have spoken with, not even the public aquariums, can keep the white or yellow ones alive for more than 6-8 months. Out of the over 20 responses I received regarding sebaes only 2 anemones had stayed alive for over one year. Both of the anemones were tan in color either when purchased or had turned tan shortly there after. One thought is that sebae anemones may expel their symbiotic algae shortly after capture and when it is completely gone it is not easily replaced. Frank Greco of the New York Aquarium says that he has been successful in getting otherwise healthy sebaes to "color up" by feeding once a week with fresh fish, clam, shrimp or gelatin. They also get live brine shrimp, adult and baby, and a yeast based diet of his own design. In addition to the frequent feedings the anemones are exposed to very bright light, three 400 watt metal halide bulbs over the six foot by six foot, four foot tall anemone tank. If the anemone is not able to replace its zooxanthellae it is doomed to a very slow starvation once in the tank. There are cream colored sebae anemones found in shallow water in the wild, but they are not the transparent white color found in the dealers tanks. These don't seem to be a good beginner's anemone despite articles I have read that say they are.

From a article called "choosing your next anemone"

Tha is bout sebea anemones..

HTH

Jacob

target feeding

I'm assuming when u say target feeding, you're referring to individual feeding instead of the whole tank? Sorry, I'm new to all this. 8O
I feed my bta individually and also my scallop, as thats what was recommended. Is this harmful? Or should I be feeding the whole ta

target feednig is like a bottle of liquid "juice" u squirt at the anemone. I have read bad tings bout this technique as it tends to degrade water quality. I feed my anemone "whole" shrimp from the local grocier.

Jacob

I do feed the bubble tip frozen krill and clams....but it refuses the shrimp. So far, I haven't found out alot about feeding the scallop tho, but that does make sense.

Target feeding is feeding an individual animal (your target). What Jacob is referring to is a type of target food (probably put out by Coralife). You can target feed shrimp or krill or silversides, etc....Target feeding is beneficial to the tank, because it will not pollute the tank. When Jacob fed his condy a shrimp, he was target feeding, since he did not feed the entire tank...Your scallop (as well as many other organisms in your tank) will appreciate live phyto as a source of food.

Jacob Morgan said:
wat kind of anemone?? ligthing etc? always interested to find out more info bout setups and anemones...

Jacob

47b2d829b3127cce9e678a724c6c0000003410

BTA, two years old. Split two times and is trying a third as we speak. Lighting is 2x96w 6700k PC and 2x 55w antic O3 PC's. 55 gal tank skimmerless system 2.5 years old. 75lbs LR 6" DSB 14 gal sump 14 gal refugim.

That's what I'm doing then...it's phytoplex by Kent. Glad I read this post! I'll stop using it I guess. Lord knows, I don't need any more problems with this tank. I've been lucky so far tho...the worst of my problems is the algae and that I can handle.
Thanks again! :)

Back
Top Bottom