internal parasites?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mandown123

Aquarium Advice Freak
I bought 3 chromis last week. everything was great and they got along famously... for a week.

the other night one of them was separated from the school hanging out by a rock on the bottom. he looked just freaked out a lil so i said okay no biggie. next day hes still doing that and then i noticed hes having lots of trouble swimming. later on in the day he lost the ability to swim right and was blowing around with the current.. i felt terrible but didnt have the heart to flush him alive. came back home from a game and he was gone, i think my clean up crew devoured him.

okay, nothing i couldve done i figured. now however, another chromis is acting in the same way he was. he is still eating but is down in the bottom corner of the tank looking generaly freaked out. the other chromis doenst seem to like him anymore and will chase him away if he goes near.

i see a small strand of white trailing out of his butt, is this a tell tale sign? its barely noticeable but i am watching him carefully to see whats visibily wrong if anything. no ick spots, no noticeable loss of color, just the weird behavior so far.

should i freshwater dip, QT and antibiodic, or just watch and wait.

Quarantine tank for sure. I'd do them both. (Doing them all for 4 weeks before putting into your main tank is a great way to keep nasties out of your main tank.)

White stringy poop is normally attributed to internal parasites. Antibiotics or a fw dip won't do anything for that. I'd probably watch and wait with them in a QT. Others with more experience in treating sick fish will probably have different/better ideas!

Praziquantel for cestodes and Fenbendazole (Panacur) for nematodes. These are just two of the many reasons I disagree with watch and wait qt procedures.

so what should i do? treat with both? is this contageous should i treat all my fish now? can i treat the main tank or move all to hospital?

You treat for both in a separate qt. I'll give you recommended dosages later on tonight.

thank you innovator. i am now scared for my other fish.. i messed up, eevryone says QT or itll catch up with you. do you think i need to remove my old fishys and hospital them too? also, will the tank hold these parasites in it, will i need to let it go empty for a while?

P.S. i am at work, but one chromis looked pretty dang terrible last night i doubt he survived the night. just hoping he didnt spread it

It can be spread when you consider that all fish indulge in coprophagia (consumes feces). I'll post more tonight and/or you can Google or Yahoo a search on the information I provided regarding the medications.

I have some flakes at home James that are for internal parasites. I wonder if they have those two ingredients in them. I`ll check when I get home. Never had to use it yet.

shoot maybe i should use those mel... can u throw them into the main tank with corals and inverts? I dont want to remove all my fish if i dont have to

Let me get home tonite and see what the ingredients are and see if it`s the same James is talking about. I believe if he`s talking about treating a QT with that stuff in it you`ll be better and quicker off. Let`s see what James says about it. I`ve never had to deal with them before.

That sounds like intestinal flagellates.
James are you talking about Flubendazol and acetone (for dissolving the Flubendazol), can be used to kill both the worms and their eggs (laying on the substrate). The book I am looking at does not give any dosages.

*Dosages per E. Noga

Praziquantel; Adult Cestode (tapeworms) and Monogeneans
Bath: 10-15mg/L for 2hr bath or 2mg/L once for 24hrs.
Oral: 50mg/kg of food.

mg/kg = of body weight

Baths can be performed x3/wk until noticeable signs of health are apparent. I personally prefer 24hr extended periods and redose inbetween 50% water changes. Redose = 1/2 administered dose in accordance to a 50% water change.

Fenbendazole (Panacur); Nematodes
Bath: 2mg/l once/3wks.
Oral: 25mg/kg per 3 day period and redose in 2wks.

mg/kg = of body weight

I find oral is easiest using brine shrimp since the brine will ingest (noticeable white tract aferwards) and all fish feed upon them.

I do not recommend already prepared medicated foods just because we either do not know the % of medication compared to added "flavor enhancing" ingredient and/or preference of exact dosing.

Here's some links to products:

Have heard good things from PraziPro:
PraziPro

Panacur example:
Search Results for panacur

Hmm, so it is a different med. Thanks for the info!

what makes you think they are intestinal flagellates?

that chromis didn't last the night, i found his spinal bones at the bottom of the tank... bristle worms made fast work of him. everyone else looks good so far. i have learned my lesson.. QT from now on :(

Back
Top Bottom