Internal Parasites

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

yohann976

Aquarium Advice Freak
Well, I'm back in the saltwater game. I cycled my tank properly and bought two fish (blue green chromis). Then I purchased a firefish that died the next day.

After scooping him up, I saw that my two remaining fish were acting weird. One had stringy poop and I later saw a small white worm floating in the water column. Later that day, the fish died. I noticed that it had very small curly worms in it's gills and a larger worm coming out of its anus. The last fish seems to have some brown blotches on its skin, but is acting normally.

Since this is a relatively new tank (3 months old), I'm wondering what should I do. Are these internal parasites permanently in my tank now? Should I break down the tank and start from scratch? Is there a medicine I can try to use? Should I get rid of the last remaining fish and will the parasites die off without a host?

I'm just not sure what the best method of getting rid of these parasites is before I start to get more fish.

I dont know about those. Thats really weird. The blotches could be marine velvet or fungus. I lost a fish to that. Good Luck!!!!!

I was hoping for a couple opinions on this. Well, a concensus would be better. I'd just start over to be safe, but I don't want to be wasting time and my tank is building a good sized pod population and it would be a pain to start over. At the same time, I don't want to have to be battling parasites for the rest of my life.

Back
Top Bottom