Iodine dosing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
G

Ive been dosing my 55gal reef and fish, live rock, live sand tank with a teaspoon of Kent iodine weekly (pretty much per the instructions). I only have soft corals: mushrooms, polyps and leathers. Is that dosage too much?

I have an iodine test and nothing seems abnormal, though I understand the tests for iodine are very unreliable. Someone recently suggested that once a month dosing would be better. The corals basically do pretty well, though not great, but perhaps to be expected since I only have modest lighting.

I would appreciate any iodine dosing advice!

Thanks.

I've only heard a lot of bad things about dosing iodine. A lot of people are over dosing because there isn't an accurate enough iodine test in the market for hobbiest.

IMO, doing regular water changes will replace the iodine needed and a lot safer than dosing.

Be very careful, you can easily over-dose your tank with iodine. If you do regular water changes you should not need to dose anything.

Not to hijack but I use seachem Iodide... it is supposed to be safer... Anyone else use this? Between this and the kalk (which I started about the same time) I have noticed my coraline algae growth explode.

MattP725 said:
Not to hijack but I use seachem Iodide... it is supposed to be safer... Anyone else use this? Between this and the kalk (which I started about the same time) I have noticed my coraline algae growth explode.

I do not wish to hijack either, but I am dosing with calcium to improve coraline growth. is this safer than iodine?

I hear that Idine is bad news to snails and shrimps/crabs.

Whoa... dosing calcium is an entire other topic. (and then some) Search through other posts to find discussion concerning calcium and alkalinity.

Really briefly, you shouldn't be dosing calcium unless you are measuring both calcium and alkalinity and know that your calcium is out of balance.

The best advice I've ever read here...Never dose what your not testing for. Unless you *know* you have an iodine (or any other chemical) deficiency, don't do it. It can be weeks and sometimes months to see the bad news develop. Bottom line, I wouldn't do it if you don't know why you need it (And because you read it, doesn't mean it applies..read more and test before you go down that road..makes your critters love ya lots if you take the extra time ; ). As a side note, the kalk alone will cause healthier corals and lots of fun (to scrape off) coraline algea if dosed properly. Again though, don't dose what you aren't testing.

Best of luck..

easiest way to tell if you are overdosing iodine is a diatom bloom. if you have no diatoms, your not overdosing. Source: Anthony Calfo

Back
Top Bottom